Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com> on 2003/10/01 06:18:16 UTC

Re: 1.3 vs. 1.4 jdk [was Re: [ANN][DBCP][Pool] First Release Candidates available for the 1.1 releases of Commons DBCP & Pool]

Compile two jars?

In [dbutils] I need to learn how to do conditional compilation as it
absolutely has to have two jars due to extension of ResultSet, but it's
not such a need in dbcp. Still, maybe the answer is the obvious one.

Hen

Re: [dbcp] 1.3 vs. 1.4 jdk

Posted by John McNally <jm...@collab.net>.
Dbcp can compile under both jdk's, so you can see an example of using
ant filtering to comment out jdbc3.0 methods.

The problem with two jars is that it makes usage in another product more
difficult.  I think tomcat would prefer to include only one jar.

I believe our intention is to distribute a jar compiled with jdk1.4 as
it is most compatible.  I think this could vary with different jvm's,
though that appears to be the case for Sun's.

I was concerned because it seems usage of the cvs head mysql jdbc driver
compiled with 1.4 jdk does result in ClassNotFoundErrors if used in a
1.3 jvm, I think we have avoided this problem in dbcp, it is just
something I wanted to remind others and as something that should be
tested before we ship final.

john mcnally

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> In [dbutils] I need to learn how to do conditional compilation as it
> absolutely has to have two jars due to extension of ResultSet, but it's
> not such a need in dbcp. Still, maybe the answer is the obvious one.

See James.  We have the code setup using Ant so that depending upon which
JDK is used, the JDK 1.4 methods are exposed (or not).

	--- Noel

Posted by Rodney Waldhoff <rw...@apache.org>.
If I remember correctly, previously we've been releasing the 1.4 compiled
JARs (and that's what the nightly builds are as well).

This seems to work just fine under 1.3 (even 1.2) in pratice, the only
caveat being you should avoid using the JDK 1.4 only methods from JDK 1.3
(otherwise you'll get a NoSuchMethodError or something like that when the
DBCP-delegates try to access methods of the underlying driver that don't
actually exist.

- Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>