Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Sherwin Daganato <sh...@saturn.emc.com.ph> on 2003/09/01 07:04:18 UTC

Re: sharing data across SSI's (Executes)

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 01:20:50PM -0700, ckassab@eplsite.org wrote:
> Be careful wiht this, it could consume memory.

Care to elaborate this for the benefit of embperl newbies?

Thanks.

Re: sharing data across SSI's (Executes)

Posted by ck...@eplsite.org.
Ok, I do not know about your comment here but what i want to say is that
when you load your file with __PACKAGE__ it could consume memory, see
part of the note below.

This is part of the tip i found in embperl site:perl.apache.org/embperl:

"The thing you need to be careful of here is that if one of these files is
included more than once elsewhere on the website, then it will be seperately
compiled for that instance - thus taking up more memory."

You can read the complete tip here:
http://perl.apache.org/embperl/pod/doc/doc13/HTML/Embperl/TipsAndTricks.-page-3-.htm
And you can find many notes about this in this list archive.
http://www.ecos.de/~mailarc/embperl/

Additionally if you monitor the memory when you use __PACKAGE__ you
can see the amount of memory it consumes if using mod_perl.

So take care when you say this to newbies and say the complete note!!!.

The embperl way $req = shift; is better to use when you develop aplications
using embperl, when you start development with embperl you do not like to
name your variables like $req->{foo}, but when you use it every day you will
see that it is not hard to use it and it helps to see what are your global
variables.

CKG