Posted to dev@flume.apache.org by Denes Arvay <de...@apache.org> on 2018/01/29 10:31:16 UTC

Breaking changes in Flume - 2.0 release

Hi Flume Community,

It has come up a couple of times that we should fully remove (or at least
shade) Guava from Flume, but unfortunately it's part of our public API
[1,2,3].
As a first step I worked on FLUME-2957 [4] and created a pull request [5].
Mike has already reviewed it, thanks for that. As he pointed out it is a
breaking change thus it can be included in Flume 2.0 release only.

Flume 2.0 will be a good opportunity to introduce other breaking changes as
well, so we might want to start collecting the features, improvements,
other possible changes.

What do you think?

Best,
Denes

[1]
https://github.com/apache/flume/blob/trunk/flume-ng-configuration/src/main/java/org/apache/flume/Context.java#L51
[2]
https://github.com/apache/flume/blob/trunk/flume-ng-node/src/main/java/org/apache/flume/node/MaterializedConfiguration.java#L41
[3]
https://github.com/apache/flume/blob/trunk/flume-ng-node/src/main/java/org/apache/flume/node/SimpleMaterializedConfiguration.java#L64
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-2957
[5] https://github.com/apache/flume/pull/195

Re: Breaking changes in Flume - 2.0 release

Posted by Mike Percy <mp...@apache.org>.
Based on the above, it seems that we have consensus to move forward with an
ABI-breaking change and a Flume 2.0 release.

I'm going to branch from the current trunk as flume-1.x and we can continue
committing to trunk assuming that the next release from trunk will be the
2.0.0 release.

I'm also going to +1 Denes' change @ https://github.com/apache/
flume/pull/195

Mike