Posted to dev@superset.apache.org by Jeff Feng <je...@airbnb.com.INVALID> on 2018/12/05 14:53:05 UTC

Superset Podling Report for 12/19/18 Apache Incubator Board Meeting

Hey Community,

I am helping to draft our Superset Podling Report for the 12/19/18 Apache
Incubator Board Meeting and would like comments and suggestions.  Please
use the Google Doc link below to comment on the draft report.  The final
draft will be posted at https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/December2018.  I
have also included a copy of the draft below.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ptU8QTUsNmGoVUCkmWydVd-p9yl4I84LkAzKfppGpL0/edit?usp=sharing

I just found out that instead of EOD today that we need the report by EOD
GMT time.  Thus, I would greatly appreciate any comments by about noon
today.  Sorry for the short notice!

Best,
Jeff

*SupersetSuperset is an enterprise-ready web application for data
exploration, datavisualization and dashboarding.Superset has been
incubating since 2017-05-21.Three most important issues to address in the
move towards graduation:1. Project operations - There are 3 specific issues
that have been brought to our attention that we are committed to
addressing: 1. Discussions happening offline from
dev@superset.incubator.apache.org <de...@superset.incubator.apache.org> (more
below under issues that the Incubator PMC or ASF Board should be aware
of)2. Unapproved releases (more below under issues that the Incubator PMC
or ASF Board should be aware of)3. Trademark - Some research has been
conducted here
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PODLINGNAMESEARCH/issues/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-124
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/PODLINGNAMESEARCH/issues/PODLINGNAMESEARCH-124>
, but more details have been requested. The expected format output
described is not very prescriptive. Just commented asking for a example of
a well executed name search. 2. Plan and execute our first Apache release.
Though we have been in incubation for a year and a half, we are committed
to planning and following through on our first Apache release together with
the community by kicking off a discussion thread on
dev@superset.incubator.apache.org <de...@superset.incubator.apache.org>  to
align on the deliverables for the first Apache release.3. Align on a
long-term product roadmap with the broader Apache Superset community.  As a
part of planning our first Apache release, we would also like to build out
the high-level roadmap for the project with a look ahead of 1 year.  We
plan to create this by starting a discussion thread on
dev@superset.incubator.apache.org <de...@superset.incubator.apache.org>  to
work collaboratively on a vision and roadmap for 2019.Any issues that the
Incubator PMC or ASF Board might wish/need to be aware of?* Discussions
happening offline from email - The dev@superset.incubator.apache.org
<de...@superset.incubator.apache.org> email list has not been very active as
a channel of discussion.  To be clear, this is both a result of 1) when the
list started, GitHub spammed the email list with notifications and our
hypothesis is that many people filtered this email alias 2) the Apache
email list does not support images making it challenging to support a
project that is UI-heavy as a tool for data visualization and 3) other
communication channels are being used to compliment the email list.  On #3,
there is an open bi-weekly meeting for contributors and committers to
discuss issues (no decisions are made here - please see the update on SIPs
in the project development section) and while the link to the Google Doc
with the notes was posted to the dev@superset.incubator.apache.org
<de...@superset.incubator.apache.org> email list, we could have done a better
job of posting the notes from the meetings and we recognize that it is more
challenging for some community members who live in other timezones to
participate.  There are also two reasonably active forums for live
discussions (Slack Group http://apache-superset.slack.com
<http://apache-superset.slack.com/> and Gitter Channel
https://gitter.im/airbnb/superset <https://gitter.im/airbnb/superset>)
however, we now know that casual conversations should only happen on these
channels and that the majority of the discussion needs to happen via
email.  As a next step, we will have an initial meeting with the Mentors,
PPMC and Committers on Thursday, December 13th to figure out what it takes
to address this issue and help get the project on track.  We will also use
this meeting as an opportunity to align across the PPMC and Committers
about our obligations and responsibilities as well as to receive coaching
from our Mentors on the Apache Way.* Unapproved releases - Currently,
committers working on the project have not been following the proper
procedures in discussing the content of releases on the
dev@superset.incubator.apache.org <de...@superset.incubator.apache.org> email
list nor have we been consistent in bringing releases to a vote.  This
negatively impacts the ability of other community members to participate.
We were uncertain how to manage the LICENSE/COPYRIGHT files and how they
relate to convenience releases and we have struggled to understand how to
proceed with the name search requirement.  That said, it doesn’t justify
pushing a release forward and at a minimum we will discontinue this
practice. We will also discuss this with our Mentors on 12/13 to receive
coaching on this topic.* As mentioned earlier, having an Apache email list
that doesn’t support images makes it very challenging for our project.  We
would be interested to know if the ASF Infrastructure Team has any plans to
address this.How has the community developed since the last report?*
Organic growth of our Github contributors (274->306), forks (3627->3974),
watchers  (1077->1157) and stars (20,519->22,097)* Added Krist
Wongsuphasawat as a new committer.How has the project developed since the
last report?* We have been intentional in discussing and voting on issues
using GitHub (for SIPs) as it supports images (a current challenge with the
Apache email listserv) and held votes for them on the
dev@superset.incubator.apache.org <de...@superset.incubator.apache.org> list*
Faster, easier editing of datasources (adding new metrics, dimensions,
metadata) - We've now added the ability to modify datasources directly from
the Explore view. * New time range filter with added simple default
options, and relative date filters.* Url shortener for dashboards, for
easier sharing.* Improvements to the visualize flow - You can now go from a
sql query right to a chart without needing to configure columns.* A
healthy, constant flow of bug fixes, quality improvements and new
 features, take a look at the project’s Pulse on Github for more detailsHow
does the podling rate their own maturity.[ ] Initial setup[X] Working
towards first release[ ] Community building[ ] Nearing graduation[ ]
Other:Date of last release: No official release yet since being voted into
ApacheIncubation.  (Planning for the first Apache release in Q1, 2019)When
were the last committers or PPMC members elected?* Krist Wongsuphasawat -
Committer (2018-11-06)Signed-off-by:[ ](superset) Alan Gates    Comments:[
](superset) Ashutosh Chauhan    Comments:[ ](superset) Luke Han
   Comments:*