Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by "Anthony J. Biacco" <ab...@formatdynamics.com> on 2009/02/10 19:25:15 UTC

cache POST requests

Hello,

I'm using apache 2.2.11 on centos 5/x86_64
I'm testing out caching data for GET requests using mod_disk_cache,
which I have working.
I'd also like to cache data for the same requests via the POST method,
but this doesn't seem to work.
Is this supported? If so, is there any config changes required for this
to work? If not, is this feature planned?

Thanx,

-Tony
---------------------------
Manager, IT Operations
Format Dynamics, Inc.
303-573-1800x27
abiacco@formatdynamics.com
http://www.formatdynamics.com

RE: cache POST requests

Posted by "Houser, Rick" <Ho...@aoins.com>.
> Also becomes more of a problem when my page's JS would have to know
for subsequent requests how to get the cached version, and not simply do
a PRG again, because it would not know if a cached version existed.

Just check for the existence of a file with the matching date and hash.
If it's missing, Apacher will display a 404 for you.

> Even if I sent a probing GET request pre-all reformatting requests,
the JS would not have the hash.

Unnecessary, your hash should be inside the GET URL itself.  Including a
SHA1sum and date into the URL should easily fit within 2k without any
difficulty.

> And now I'd be doing 3 requests for every 1 I was doing beforehand.

Only two requests needed, but if you had a connection reset of something
more than halfway through, you could save bandwidth, as GET supports
range based retrievals and you don't need to send the massive request
again.

Thanks,

Rick Houser
Auto-Owners Insurance
Systems Support
(517)703-2580

RE: cache POST requests

Posted by "Houser, Rick" <Ho...@aoins.com>.
> then when the redirect request comes back to the app server, recognize
a > hash is in it, and have it pull the content for that hash, and then
> apache subsequently would cache based on that URL with the hash in it.
> MIGHT be work the extra request and hashing time/storage.

Why go back to the app server?  Just put this where Apache can access
the output directly, enable mod_expires, and you should be good to go.
Nobody said it had to be a hash, either.

In any case, I really can't respond to this further.  If you still need
help, you have some basic web development research to do first.  I
really don't see anything about your problem that requires creating or
modifying a module, either.

Thanks,

Rick Houser
Auto-Owners Insurance