Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Kaustubh Deshpande <ka...@exadatum.com> on 2017/06/23 07:29:52 UTC

Failed to create table in Hive (AlreadyExistsException)

Hi,

   -

   I am facing issue in Apache Hive v0.13.0 for creating table.
   -

   I am executing hive script in which i have DROP and CREATE TABLE
   statements.
   -

   CREATE TABLE statement is type of CREATE TABLE db_nm.tble_nm AS SELECT *
   from db_nm.other_tbl.
   -

   db_nm.tble_nm is managed HIve table
   -

   ERROR - *FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from
**org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask.
   AlreadyExistsException(message:Table tble_nm already exists)*
   -

   I had this issue only once and didn't reoccurred but i want to find root
   cause of it.
   -

   In logs it has successfully dropped the table and it started creating
   table and executed map-reduce for copying data and at the end it given '
   *AlreadyExistsException*'.
   -

   I tried it with excluding DROP TABLE statement then it has given '*FAILED:
   SemanticException** org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.parse.SemanticException:
   Table already exists: db_nm.tble_nm*' as expected without executing
map-reduce
   for copying data.
   -

   Please help me to find root cause of this error.

Thanks,

Kaustubh.

--

*DISCLAIMER:*
individual named. If you are not the named addressee, you should not