Posted to general@poi.apache.org by Svante Schubert <sv...@gmail.com> on 2016/09/09 12:13:48 UTC

ApacheCon Europe BoFs on office document formats

Hi,

I would like to initiate a Birds-of-a-Feather session (BoFs) at the
upcoming Apache Conference Europe (Sevilla, Spain November 16-18) on office
document formats.
Where your project might/should take a major role. I am working on the
Apache ODF Toolkit (Incubating) project and the ODF standardization at
OASIS.

Such a meeting would be a great opportunity to meet parties interested
in office document formats in person.

Especially I am interested to meet up with members of your project people

   1. Give a very quick presentation on the introduction of the ODF
   Toolkit, while some of your POI people could do similar.
   2. Talk about a new document collaboration approach and how you might
   adopt it for MS formats, see
   https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ODFTOOLKIT-441 I might give a
   quick presentation as well.
   3. Discuss a potential merger with our incubating project (we might of
   course come to yours), combining all office formats in a single Apache
   project, ending our incubating status.

Sorry for the late notice. Today is the last submission day, but I guess
the details of the BOFs might be arranged still later, even shortly before
the session or we vote during the session.

Nevertheless, if someone is interested to give a short talk, I will add
her/him as additional speaker as long I am able to edit the proposal.

What do you think?

Kind regards,
Svante

PS: Due to today's deadline I will submit the BoFs proposal, but I am happy
to give any of you the leading role.
ᐧ

Re: ApacheCon Europe BoFs on office document formats

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016, Svante Schubert wrote:
> There were too many proposals so the BoFs was declined. Nevertheless I
> will attend the conference and would love to get in contact with anyone
> interested in Office formats.

That doesn't mean we can't have a BoF though, just that it'll have to be
an informal one! We can almost certainly book some space to hold one in,
especially if we want to do it during lunch or just after talks

I for one would be up for that :)

Nick

Re: ApacheCon Europe BoFs on office document formats

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.

Posted by Svante Schubert <sv...@gmail.com>.
There were too many proposals so the BoFs was declined.
Nevertheless I will attend the conference and would love to get in contact
with anyone interested in Office formats.

Just contact me directly off list, if you are attending and interested in a
chat.

Kind regards,
Svante
ᐧ