Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by nutch_guy <ad...@bluewin.ch> on 2011/01/10 14:16:47 UTC

RE: Crawling PDF documents

Hi

Thanks for your answer.
My Problem is stil existing, i can crawl pdf documents
but, there are a lot of pdf documents wich are
not supported.

Thank for help

nutch_guy

Re: Crawling PDF documents

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.
>  Generally, I found that Tika was at that stage not as mature as some of
the pre-Tika plugins, and used whatever worked best for a document type.

while this was true for the HTML parser and the PDF extraction in 0.8 -
which should be fixed in the next version of Tika - I am not aware of Tika
being worse than the legacy plugins.

in most cases Tika wraps the same underlying libraries as the old plugins
but simply exposes them through a unified API. in most cases the versions
used by Tika are more up to date than in the old plugins so there are likely
to be more efficient

of course, you can always help making Tika better (and the underlying
libraries it uses) by reporting the issues you come across on its JIRA (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA)

Julien

--
*

http://digitalpebble.blogspot.com/
http://www.digitalpebble.com

RE: Crawling PDF documents

Posted by Ar...@csiro.au.
Hi Julien,

Sorry, it was a few months ago. I can't tell now. Generally, I found that Tika was at that stage not as mature as some of the pre-Tika plugins, and used whatever worked best for a document type.

>Note that the parse-pdf plugin has been removed from the next release of
>Nutch (1.3)

Let's hope that Tika is more mature now. If not, I will have to stick with 1.2 for a while. We have a lot of PDF docs on our site and I want them indexed.

Regards,

Arkadi

Re: Crawling PDF documents

Posted by Julien Nioche <li...@gmail.com>.