Posted to users@sling.apache.org by Günther Schmidt <gu...@kmmd.de> on 2012/04/05 04:44:32 UTC

Newbie question - can I use sling for ...

Hi everyone,

I'd like to build my own "groupware" solution, well basically I want all
my emails to be pulled in, indexed, the attachments be made available
via webdav, calendaring, contact management, document versioning and
being able to reference  anything with anything.

Well actually the question isn't really so much whether or not I can use
sling for it because from what I've read so far I'm fairly certain I
can, but rather if sling is a good choice for this.

I certainly like the general layout, OSGi, JCR.

Günther

Re: Newbie question - can I use sling for ...

Posted by maikhorma <MH...@NBME.org>.
Günther Schmidt wrote

> Well actually the question isn't really so much whether or not I can use
> sling for it because from what I've read so far I'm fairly certain I
> can, but rather if sling is a good choice for this.

Perhaps I don't fully understand your vision of your "groupware" product,
but I don't see in your description showing a strong need for sling over
just using jackrabbit itself.  To me the key points of your idea is
capturing emails (which I don't know if anything in sling can offer for that
besides the osgi fw) and indexing/versioning/referencing/webdav are all
features provided by jackrabbit itself.  What sling has over Jackrabbit is
the RESTful web framework for developing content centric web applications.
If your "groupware" includes a bunch of web apps then sling could definitely
help there, if not, then you might just want jackrabbit in your own server
implementation.

That said, I've always found sling very useful for quickly scripting admin
like activities even if the business case only asks for only jackrabbit
functionality. If starting a new project I would definitely consider using
sling just to have the functionality available even if I don't have a plan
to use it right away.

Care to share details on how you intend to capture your emails?  That may
shed some light on how sling or osgi could help you.