Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Mireille Audet <Mi...@newittech.com> on 2008/05/13 22:29:03 UTC

Using port 443 instead of port 8443.

Hi,

Tomcat run on Windows XP workstation. The logged user has administrator rights and JetSpeed is started with that user. When I run Jetspeed with the default ports(8080, 8443) everythings is working fine, but when I changed those ports for (80,443) in the server.xml file, I receive the following error:

GRAVE: Erreur à l'initialisation du point de contact
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind:443
 at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.initEndpoint(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:297)
 at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol.init(Http11BaseProtocol.java:138)
 at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initialize(Connector.java:1016)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:580)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:791)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:503)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:523)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:266)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:431)
2008-05-13 13:52:31 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
GRAVE: Catalina.start
LifecycleException:  L'initialisation du gestionnaire de protocole a échoué: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind:443
 at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.initialize(Connector.java:1018)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(StandardService.java:580)
 at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(StandardServer.java:791)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:503)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.load(Catalina.java:523)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.load(Bootstrap.java:266)
 at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:431)
2008-05-13 13:52:31 org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina load
INFO: Initialization processed in 2281 ms

The error message says that the port is already in use, but when I use netstat command to view the ports actually used, I didn't see the port 443 as a port already used....

I red from Web site http://tomcat.apache.org this:

The port attribute (default value is 8443) is the TCP/IP port number on which Tomcat will listen for secure connections. You can change this to any port number you wish (such as to the default port for https communications, which is 443). However, special setup (outside the scope of this document) is necessary to run Tomcat on port numbers lower than 1024 on many operating systems.

	If you change the port number here, you should also change the value specified for the redirectPort attribute on the non-SSL connector. This allows Tomcat to automatically redirect users who attempt to access a page with a security constraint specifying that SSL is required, as required by the Servlet 2.3 Specification.

But, I still don't know what I should configure to make it functional. I have already change the server.xml file to support the 443 port.

Any Ideas?

Mireille

Re: Using port 443 instead of port 8443.

Posted by Woonsan Ko <wo...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Mireille,

In my case, the following netstat command showed a process had occupied 443 port. On my computer, the process was the Skype program. I succeeded in using 443 port here after killing the program.

C:\>netstat -a -n -p TCP -o
  Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State           PID
  TCP    0.0.0.0:443            0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING       3848

Woonsan