Posted to dev@buildr.apache.org by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com> on 2008/06/04 04:43:20 UTC

VOTE: 1.3.2 Gem release to resolve Hoe dependency problem

Looks like we've got another dependency problem.

There are two workarounds, install from source or remove the newer
hoe/rubyforge dependency, both of which will have to be done after
installing/upgrading 1.3.1, and every time you run gem update, which
will restore the newer dependencies.

I'm proposing we push a new Gem to RubyForge without making an
official release, there will not be a corresponding Apache
distribution, and it will not contain any other changes from trunk
besides new version number and fixed Gem dependencies.

Assaf

Re: VOTE: 1.3.2 Gem release to resolve Hoe dependency problem

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.
+1

Posted by Yanko Ivanov <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

regards,
yanko

--
Tanzen ist -- wenn man mit den Beinen träumt!
http://www.floridita.at -- Lerne die leidenschaftliche Sprache der

Re: VOTE: 1.3.2 Gem release to resolve Hoe dependency problem

Posted by Victor Hugo Borja <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
vic

Quaerendo invenietis.

Re: VOTE: 1.3.2 Gem release to resolve Hoe dependency problem

Posted by Shane Witbeck <sh...@digitalsanctum.com>.
I also confirmed this with a fresh install of MRI on Windows XP. JRuby
1.1.2 is another story and I've filed a bug for it.

Thanks a lot for getting this release out to fix the crucial install
issue. You're absolutely right about community first even if it skirts
the normal processes once in a while.

--
-Shane

Re: VOTE: 1.3.2 Gem release to resolve Hoe dependency problem

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 5:19 AM, Jim Jagielski <ji...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:22 PM, Matthieu Riou wrote:
>>
>> Now with my PMC hat on, I'd *really* like the documentation to make very
>> clear that what's published on Rubyforge isn't in any way endorsed by
>> Apache
>> and is only community driven. We should have a disclaimer explaining why
>> we
>> do this (emergency Rubygems conf related releases) and how people can
>> install making sure you only get the Apache releases.
>>

> It seems to me, with my PMC hat on as well, that we appear to
> be playing fast and loose with "releases", following the regular
> ASF process when it's convenient and finding alternate ways around
> it when not... this is NOT a good precedent.

I think our focus should be on giving people something that works and
they can use.  The process must provide a way to make sure issues like
this don't happen again, but when they do, provide a quick way to
react and resolve them.

We have code freeze, testing, staging and voting, and that involves a
lot of checks to surface issues before making a release.  And each
time something goes wrong, we add a check to make sure it doesn't
happen again.  So one task for 1.3.2 is improving dependency checks.

That process generally leads to higher quality releases, and part of
that is correlated to having a very lengthy release process.  Most
often that's a good thing, but when something like this slips through
our quality checks, the process must provide a way to quickly act and
respond to it.

Otherwise, we're serving the process, not the community.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Victor Hugo Borja <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agree with Matthieu on version numbering, I think it should be 1.3.1.1 as
> changes are mainly little bugs/dependency fixes.
>
> Also .. given that we have an *unofficial* mirror on github, we could just
> push the gemspec, so that people wanting to play with the version at HEAD
> can do:
>
>  sudo env JAVA_HOME=/opt/sun-jdk-1.5.0.13/ gem install vic-buildr -s
> http://gems.github.com

I'm not sure it creates a new Gem unless you update the .spec file.
Also, the .spec file doesn't include any dependencies specific to
MRI/JRuby (e.g. RJB), not sure how to work around that.

Also possible, publishing a script that will grab head/trunk and use
rake install to install it locally (but with remote dependencies).

Assaf

Posted by Victor Hugo Borja <vi...@gmail.com>.

--
vic

Quaerendo invenietis.

Re: VOTE: 1.3.2 Gem release to resolve Hoe dependency problem

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org> wrote:
> So given that this is an unofficial release that you decide to publish for
> people's convenience, without my PMC hat on and only as a community member,
> I'll vote +1 because this little packaging problem needs fixing. I'd rather
> name this 1.3.1.1 if possible though, to avoid holes in the official release
> numbering.

I must have been thinking of some other dependency system, because Gem
doesn't mind if we use 1.3.1.1 for the next release, so there's no
need to jump to 1.3.2.

> Now with my PMC hat on, I'd *really* like the documentation to make very
> clear that what's published on Rubyforge isn't in any way endorsed by Apache
> and is only community driven. We should have a disclaimer explaining why we
> do this (emergency Rubygems conf related releases) and how people can
> install making sure you only get the Apache releases.

I filed an issue for that.

> I'd also suggest that if another unofficial release is needed, we clearly
> flag the vote e-mail with unofficial to avoid readers' confusion.

Point taken.

Assaf

--
CTO, Intalio
http://www.intalio.com

Re: VOTE: 1.3.2 Gem release to resolve Hoe dependency problem

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.

Posted by Tal Rotbart <re...@gmail.com>.