Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Richard Williams <sa...@planetgps.net> on 2004/05/20 22:19:52 UTC

Unexpected response

I have a rather simple client using the Post method and I am getting the
following log message:

Discarding unexpected response: HTTP/1.1 100 Continue

I don't see how this can happen.  What can I do to get rid of this
message.  I don't think the server is actually sending the 100.

Richard

[HttpClient]Re: Unexpected response

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
Hi Richard,

Any chance your are hitting IIS/ServletExec?  If so, this could be
causing the problem.  If you post a wire log
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/logging.html> we will be
able to get a better idea of what's happening.

As has already been mentioned, using HTTP 1.0 (instead of 1.1) could
solve the problem.  This can be done with HttpMethod.setHttp11(false).

Mike

Re: [HttpClient] Re: Unexpected response

Posted by Stephane James Vaucher <va...@cirano.qc.ca>.
Add a proxy to tell you what is being transfered. I've seen 100 codes
before, it's part of a more complex interaction, and I don't know if
HttpClient supports this (as I've never used it).

You might be able to force the use of HTTP/1.0, as the spec says
from: http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html

Since HTTP/1.0 did not define any 1xx status codes, servers MUST NOT send
a 1xx response to an HTTP/1.0 client except under experimental conditions.

HTH,
sv
FYI: http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec8.html#sec8.2.3
Requirements for HTTP/1.1 clients:

  - If a client will wait for a 100 (Continue) response before
    sending the request body, it MUST send an Expect request-header
    field (section 14.20) with the "100-continue" expectation.

  - A client MUST NOT send an Expect request-header field (section
    14.20) with the "100-continue" expectation if it does not intend
    to send a request body.

Posted by Kedar Panse <ke...@bancbridge.com>.

Re: Unexpected response

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@bluewin.ch>.
Richard,

If you get this message, HttpClient DOES get an 100 response it is not
supposed to. There's one known exception to this rule: HttpClient _may_
print a bogus warning when executing POST methods over secure (HTTPS)
connection due to bug in older versions of JSSE (pre Java 1.4)

(1) What version of HttpClient are you using?
(2) What JRE version are you using?
(3) Are you using plain HTTP or HTTPS?
(4) Do you activate 100-continue handshake on the client side?
(5) What is the target server your application communicates with? Can it
be Jetty by any chance?

The only sure way to get rid of the warning message is to set logging
priority to ERROR. Another possibility is to try activating 100-continue
handshake, which is disabled per default. Some servers (Jetty, for
instance) are known to be sending 100 response even if they are not
asked to do so by the client

Oleg