Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <ju...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/05 19:44:40 UTC

switching to 2.11?

Hi,

I think now would be a good time to swicth to 2.11, meaning breaking
changes would be allowed. My list of breaking-and-not changes would include

1.- instead of releasing 2.11.0, release 2.11.0.M1, 2.11.0.M2, etc (don't
know how may milestones). The idea there is that M# releases would allow us
to keep breaking compatibility with 2.10 within several releases, but other
than that should be as ready for production as normal releases
2.- switching to java 8 / servlet 3.1
3.- haddock as default template (maybe renaming then the default template
"white template", "lean template", "classic template" or something along
those lines)
4.- remove warnings from the java source
5.- begin to move to a multi-module build
5.1.- one war module with all the JSPs, css preprocessing, js minifying, etc
5.2.- one "main" jar with almost all java files, (and as time permits)
another with the util, package, another with the log susbsystem, another
with plugins, etc... there are some packages classes that can be extracted
right away to their own module
5.3.- the reasoning behind this is that having a multimodule would allow us
to disentangle package/classes cycles, in order to help us preparing
java9-module jars in a not so distant future. As a bonus point, it also
would speed up testing (i.e., no need to execute 920+ java unit tests to
push a change on a JSP)

I'd like to begin in that order next week so, WDYT?

thanks,
juan pablo

Re: switching to 2.11?

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
JP,

I fully agree with this order.

cheers,
Harry

Op wo 5 sep. 2018 om 21:44 schreef Juan Pablo Santos Rodríguez <
juanpablo.santos@gmail.com>