Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com> on 2021/04/08 12:03:09 UTC

Can I redistribute an Apache project under another license

Hi there,

We plan to fork an Apache project and may make modifications to the fork in
future. Can you please let me know if I can change the fork's license from
Apache License V2 to another license? If the answer is yes, then for a
single file which contains both the original code and  the modification,
should its header contain two licenses (Apache License V2 and another
license)? How about the `LICENSE` file under the project's root directory?
Should it also contain two licenses?

Regards,
Qian Zhang

Re: Can I redistribute an Apache project under another license

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Hi,

The ASF does not provide legal advice, and you should seek your legal
counsel if you require legal advice, and I am not a lawyer.
However, I believe your specific question is addressed in the body of
the Apache License itself. The last paragraph of section 4 seems
particularly relevant: https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
> On Apr 8, 2021, at 5:03 AM, Qian Zhang <zh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> We plan to fork an Apache project and may make modifications to the fork in future. Can you please let me know if I can change the fork's license from Apache License V2 to another license? If the answer is yes, then for a single file which contains both the original code and  the modification, should its header contain two licenses (Apache License V2 and another license)? How about the `LICENSE` file under the project's root directory? Should it also contain two licenses?
>

> Regards,
> Qian Zhang

Hello Qian,

Only the copyright owners of a work, and those authorized by the copyright owner,
can permit the work to be distributed under a different license. Please note that
the license is not attached to the work itself, but rather is more like a permission
slip given by the owner. The owner can give you as many different permissions
as they like, but you cannot invent your own (unless you own the copyrights).

In general, the ASF does not permit relicensing of Apache License 2.0 works
except to the extent already permitted by that license in section 4.
We occasionally dual-license a work so that it can be contributed to an
upstream source tree. We do not dual-license forks, since that would violate
the terms under which our contributors contributed their work to our projects.

....Roy