Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Murat Hazer <mu...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/24 16:15:03 UTC

JSF and Tiles

Hi,

Is there a good tutorial introduces tiles and usage of it with JSF, or is
there any other good templating framework for JSF?

Regards
--
Murat HAZER
Elektrik-Elektronik Mühendisi - Electrical-Electronics Engineer

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
Tiles can have some issues with JSF. I suggest you to look at Facelets
or Shale Clay wich are native JSF view technologies.

On 3/24/06, Murat Hazer <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a good tutorial introduces tiles and usage of it with JSF, or is
> there any other good templating framework for JSF?
>
> Regards
> --
> Murat HAZER
> Elektrik-Elektronik Mühendisi - Electrical-Electronics Engineer

--
Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Murat Hazer <mu...@gmail.com>.
Thanks all of you, i will consider with facelets and Shale/Clay.

--
Murat HAZER
Elektrik-Elektronik Mühendisi - Electrical-Electronics Engineer
Tel - Phone: +90 222 335 05 80 - 1395
Cep Tel - Mobile Phone: +90 532 472 00 63
Blog URL: http://www.projedunyasi.org

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.
On 3/24/06, Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why do you want to use JSP? JSP is not a very good choice for JSF
> applications, there are way better choice out there.
>
> But if you absolutely want to use JSP, Shale Clay can work in a JSP mode.

This line was too close to the next line I almost didn't see it.
Thanks for this info.  I guess I'll start bugging Gary now.

Hubert

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.
Let's just say that this particular decision is above my pay grade.

Hubert

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com>.

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
It works for me :)

--
Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Dean Hiller <de...@xsoftware.biz>.

RE: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Frank Felix Debatin <ff...@gmx.net>.
Hi Igor,

all of our web development environments are pretty fragile - there are just
too many components with different versions and different implementations,
and I think everybody had his or her nightmare experiences.

I need to say that for me Facelets was the only exception. It just worked
out of the box.

Frank Felix

RE: JSF and Tiles

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

RE: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Igor Marakov <ig...@ivmsystems.com>.

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Adam Winer <aw...@gmail.com>.

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
Watch the JavaOne 2005 presentation I have linked previously.

--
Alexandre Poitras
Québec, Canada

RE: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Igor Marakov <ig...@ivmsystems.com>.
You aren't alone :)

After initial JSF learning curve, the only serious issue I had so far with
tiles/JSF combo is inability to use Tomahawk aliasBeans when including tiles
in the loop. But that can be circumvented by writing tile controller.
Other than that, overriding TilesViewHandler lets you hook into view
creation and rendering thus providing combined benefit of "tiled" layout and
basis for development of the functionality similar to Shale's
ViewController.

What is also nice here is the fact that Tiles itself have no learning curve
to speak of. Attentive reading of "advanced-tiles" PDF file and looking at
example provided with Myfaces are quite sufficient to get going.

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Bjørn T Johansen <bt...@havleik.no>.

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmx.at>.

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@apache.org>.

Re: JSF and Tiles

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
The tiles support for JSF is primarily there to allow people to port
existing tiles apps (or tiles knowledge) to JSF.

You should consider using facelets or Shale/Clay for templating with JSF.

You can find a list of articles on using Facelets here:

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Projects/FaceletsArticles