Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Khaled Hussein <kh...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/29 15:04:44 UTC

emails lost

Hi all,

i am recently added saupdates.openprotect.com channel to my server but after
that i am receiving complains from one customer that he received emails like
123456@domain.com as ifax , the digits are the fax number, but after the
message enter the mail queue it disappeared, here are the logs

Oct 29 15:16:33 mailgate2 sm-mta-in[71830]: n9TDGSfw071830: from=<
2952705@interfax.net>, size=62933, class=0, nrcpts=1, msgid=<
710b2e5709bc4407a484327d0fd2431a@interfax.net>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=IPv4,
relay=mxil.interfax.net [82.80.216.66] (may be forged)
Oct 29 15:16:33 mailgate2 sm-mta-in[71830]: n9TDGSfw071830: to=<
munib@palnet.com>, delay=00:00:01, mailer=smtp, pri=92933, stat=queued

but the the sender is local@interfax.net it work fine and go to the customer
mail box

i think that spamassassin delete the message and think it is high spam
score

how can i debug and troubleshoot this case

thanks

Re: Do not use openprotect!

Posted by Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com>.
On 10/29/2009 11:33 AM, Adam Katz wrote:

> There are other channels of note, namely 2tld, sought, and my own.
> I've got a list of channels I recommend on my site (see my sig).

How is your registration to be able to commit your rules to masscheck
going?  I personally wouldn't be comfortable using your rules until I
see masscheck results across all corpa.

Warren

Do not use openprotect!

Posted by Adam Katz <an...@khopis.com>.
Khaled Hussein wrote:
> i am recently added saupdates.openprotect.com channel to my server
> but after that i am receiving complains from one customer that he
> received emails like 123456@domain.com as ifax , the digits are the
> fax number, but after the message enter the mail queue it
> disappeared
> i think that spamassassin delete the message and think it is high
> spam score
>
> how can i debug and troubleshoot this case

First, remove the openprotect channel.  It is DANGEROUSLY out of date,
including things like the top 200 SpamCop offenders from January 2008
and a slew of rules from 2005 and 2006 that have either already been
incorporated into SpamAssassin (and thus would double-hit) or are old
enough to create significantly more false-positives than anything else.

If you want to use the SARE rules (except 2tld, all SARE channels are
no longer maintained), you have to be careful and choose only a few of
them.  The openprotect channel simply gives them ALL to you.

--
Adam Katz
khopesh on irc://irc.freenode.net/#spamassassin

Re: emails lost

Posted by Terry Carmen <te...@cnysupport.com>.
Khaled Hussein wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i am recently added saupdates.openprotect.com
> <http://saupdates.openprotect.com> channel to my server but after that
> i am receiving complains from one customer that he received emails
> like 123456@domain.com <ma...@domain.com> as ifax ,
> the digits are the fax number, but after the message enter the mail
> queue it disappeared, here are the logs
>
> Oct 29 15:16:33 mailgate2 sm-mta-in[71830]: n9TDGSfw071830:
> from=<2952705@interfax.net <ma...@interfax.net>>, size=62933,
> class=0, nrcpts=1,
> msgid=<710b2e5709bc4407a484327d0fd2431a@interfax.net
> <ma...@interfax.net>>, proto=ESMTP,
> daemon=IPv4, relay=mxil.interfax.net <http://mxil.interfax.net>
> [82.80.216.66] (may be forged)
> Oct 29 15:16:33 mailgate2 sm-mta-in[71830]: n9TDGSfw071830:
> to=<munib@palnet.com <ma...@palnet.com>>, delay=00:00:01,
> mailer=smtp, pri=92933, stat=queued
If mailgate2 sm-mta-in is your server and the last log entry for that
message id is listed above, nothing has deleted it. It's in a queue on
mailgate2 sm-mta-in.

I don't know what software mailgate2 sm-mta-in is running, but whatever
it is still has the message.

In any case, Spamassassin doesn't delete anything, it only analyzes content.

Terry

Re: emails lost

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

Spamassassin doesnt delete mail. This is most likely a issue with the
tools you use around it? MailScanner?

Bye,
Raymond.