Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com> on 1998/02/16 18:55:02 UTC

InfoWorld article on Apache is up.

I'm surprised I didn't see this already, but the InfoWorld article on
Apache for NT is now up:

http://www.infoworld.com/cgi-bin/displayTC.pl?/reviews/980216apache.htm

Mostly positive, but here are some interesting tidbits:

"Platforms: Windows NT, Unix, Macintosh, OS/2"

"Ship Date: Mid-April"

"Everything sucks." - Butthead

Re: InfoWorld article on Apache is up.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Here's the part I find interesting:
>
> "AHSP"?  Guess they don't grow no clews out in his neck of the
> woods..

I asked the author about this, and he says it was done by the
IW copyeditors trying to trim verbiage.  Having just undergone
several months of dealing with copyeditors, I'm willing to accept
this explanation .

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/

Re: InfoWorld article on Apache is up.

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
At 11:04 AM 2/16/98 -0700, Marc Slemko wrote:
>AHSP?  Hehe.  (Apache HTTP Server Project)
>
>      Apache sports several nice features that make it incredibly
>      attractive. First, Apache is known for its blazing speed on
>      Unix systems, and that same performance carries over nicely
>      to the NT platform.
>
>I hate to discourage anyone from gushing over Apache on NT, but that
>is a lie.  The performance does not carry over nicely.

Well it's not nearly the dog it could be, and it's certainly "fast enough"
for the majority of web sites out there.  I'm sure MS isn't going to try
and run Expedia on it any time soon :)

	Brian

specialization is for insects				  brian@organic.com

Re: InfoWorld article on Apache is up.

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
AHSP?  Hehe.  (Apache HTTP Server Project)

      Apache sports several nice features that make it incredibly
      attractive. First, Apache is known for its blazing speed on
      Unix systems, and that same performance carries over nicely
      to the NT platform.

I hate to discourage anyone from gushing over Apache on NT, but that
is a lie.  The performance does not carry over nicely.  Heck, how can
you call a server that can't support more than 64 simultaneous connections
scalable?

Funny how the biggest thing that any review of Apache under Unix whines
about is no GUI, but they simply (fairly) mention it in passing!  And
this is on NT!  Perhaps it really is true that NT people are getting
sick of pathetic GUIs.