Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Dan Adams <da...@ifactory.com> on 2007/03/02 04:52:58 UTC

plugins for a tapestry app?

So I have a T4 app and I'm trying to get a sense for how hard it would
be to allow the user of plugins. What I mean is that I would like to be
able to write a plugin, put the jar in the WEB-INF/lib, and then have my
application load it. The plugins could be either interface contributions
or strictly something behind the scenes. Does anyone have any experience
with doing something like this? Would hivemind be the best bet or is
something like Java Plugin Framework better? I'm looking for any and all
thoughts/suggestions. Thanks.

- dan

Re: plugins for a tapestry app?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Someone posted something like that a while back, I believe.  Try
searching the archives.

Posted by Steve Shucker <ss...@vmsinfo.com>.

Posted by Steve Shucker <ss...@vmsinfo.com>.
anonymous/anon

Posted by Dan Adams <da...@ifactory.com>.
Is there an anonymous login for this?

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 09:41 -0500, James Carman wrote:
> There's a HiveMind module for that, actually.  Check out:
>
> http://svn.javaforge.com/svn/hivemind/hivemind-hibernate3/trunk/src/main/resources/META-INF/hivemodule.xml
>
> That's my hivemodule.xml file and it basically just sets up a
> configuration point that allows any HiveMind module to contribute to
> the Hibernate configuration.  It works great in our application,
> allowing us to just drop in new parts of the "domain" model and they
> just get added into the mix automatically.
>

> On 3/2/07, Dan Adams <da...@ifactory.com> wrote:
> > hmm. specifically for hibernate, how do you have it contribute new
> > entities?
> >
> > On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 23:49 -0500, James Carman wrote:
> > > Since HiveMind is already integrated with T4, I'd say use it.  It has
> > > the ability to dynamically discover new modules like you're wanting.
> > > I came up with a similar architecture to allow multiple modules to
> > > contribute to my Hibernate configuration dynamically.  All you had to
> > > do is drop in the jar, and the entities were automatically picked up
> > > by the hibernate configuration.

> > --
> > Dan Adams
> > Senior Software Engineer
> > Interactive Factory
> > 617.235.5857

Dan Adams
Senior Software Engineer
Interactive Factory
617.235.5857

Re: plugins for a tapestry app?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Dan Adams <da...@ifactory.com>.
hmm. specifically for hibernate, how do you have it contribute new
entities?

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 23:49 -0500, James Carman wrote:
> Since HiveMind is already integrated with T4, I'd say use it.  It has
> the ability to dynamically discover new modules like you're wanting.
> I came up with a similar architecture to allow multiple modules to
> contribute to my Hibernate configuration dynamically.  All you had to
> do is drop in the jar, and the entities were automatically picked up
> by the hibernate configuration.
>
> On 3/1/07, Dan Adams <da...@ifactory.com> wrote:
> > So I have a T4 app and I'm trying to get a sense for how hard it would
> > be to allow the user of plugins. What I mean is that I would like to be
> > able to write a plugin, put the jar in the WEB-INF/lib, and then have my
> > application load it. The plugins could be either interface contributions
> > or strictly something behind the scenes. Does anyone have any experience
> > with doing something like this? Would hivemind be the best bet or is
> > something like Java Plugin Framework better? I'm looking for any and all
> > thoughts/suggestions. Thanks.
> >
> > - dan

Dan Adams
Senior Software Engineer