Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Chris Mead <cd...@syr.edu.INVALID> on 2020/04/28 11:14:31 UTC

new user - can't compile client, error with Java 11 about javax.xml.bind

Hi,
I'm attempting to build guacamole for the first time, the client won't compile/build with maven. I get "guacamole-client-1.1.0/extensions/guacamole-auth-cas/src/main/java/org/apache/guacamole/auth/cas/ticket/TicketValidationService.java:[34,21] error: package javax.xml.bind does not exist"...I found a ticket that indicates that something was fixed ( in the apache JIRA instance) but unfortunately I'm not clever enough to understand the suggestion about how to address the situation. I know that particular function was deprecated in java 9/10 and removed in 11, but I don't know what to do about it now.

Can someone make a suggestion? I'm running ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS.

Thanks,
Chris.

Christopher D. Mead (he/him/his)
Systems Administrator
Martin J. Whitman School of Management
721 University Avenue Suite 114
Syracuse, New York 13244
t 315.443.3054  f 315.442.1461  e cdmead@syr.edu<ma...@syr.edu>

Need help? Email our help desk at wsmhelp@syr.edu<ma...@syr.edu> or call us at 315-443-2342
SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
whitman.syr.edu

The Future of Business is O R A N G E

RE: new user - can't compile client, error with Java 11 about javax.xml.bind

Posted by Chris Mead <cd...@syr.edu.INVALID>.
Thanks Sean, that did the trick. I also had to switch my java_home path to the java 8 build, and clean out the client build directory, but that was the answer.

Thank you!

Need help? Email our help desk at wsmhelp@syr.edu or call us at 315-443-2342
SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY
whitman.syr.edu

The Future of Business is O R A N G E

I've been able to build the client using maven with Java 8.

To install 8 on Ubuntu 18.04, you should be able to run "sudo apt install openjdk-8-jdk", then verify with "java -version" and verify that you see something that starts with 1.8. If you see some other version still, running "sudo update-alternatives --config java" should give you a prompt and allow you to select the java 8 option. Checking the version after that command should show 1.8 and the client should build with maven.

Sean

Posted by Sean Reid <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,