Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by rajarsi <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2008/01/25 20:50:02 UTC

Does the input ALWAYS need to be a FILE type ?

Hi,

I wish to pass in a large data set to hadoop's Map/Reduce "during RUNTIME"
from another program for indexing purpose. Whatever code samples I have
seen, invariably uses a file that they pass into JobConf...

Is it possible to just pass in a String [InputStream] into hadoop and if so
how ?

Your help on this will be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Regards
Raj

Re: Does the input ALWAYS need to be a FILE type ?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
rajarsi wrote:
> Is it possible to just pass in a String [InputStream] into hadoop and if so
> how ?

Yes, this is possible.  You will need to implement your own InputFormat.

Doug