Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> on 2011/03/23 16:37:18 UTC

Go for a Apache Directory Studio 1.5.4 Bugfix Release

Hi devs,

it's almost one year since the last Apache Directory Studio release (1.5.3).
I think the 2.0.0 release will take some more time.

So I think we should release a 1.5.4 bugfix release in the next future.

I browsed the issue list in Jira and there are already some issues marked as
fixed for 1.5.4. There are also many bugs reported by users within the last
year we should fix. Last not least I also found some issues with MS AD and
ADAM I'd like to fix.

Thoughts?

Kind Regards
Stefan

Re: Go for a Apache Directory Studio 1.5.4 Bugfix Release

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 3/23/11 4:37 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> it's almost one year since the last Apache Directory Studio release
>> (1.5.3).
>> I think the 2.0.0 release will take some more time.
>>
>> So I think we should release a 1.5.4 bugfix release in the next future.
>>
>> I browsed the issue list in Jira and there are already some issues marked
>> as
>> fixed for 1.5.4. There are also many bugs reported by users within the
>> last
>> year we should fix. Last not least I also found some issues with MS AD and
>> ADAM I'd like to fix.
>>

> yes, sure. Or we may also want to eat the Milestone road instead. Like
> releasing a 2.0.0-M1 instead of a 1.5.4.

+1 to all points.

Alex

Re: Go for a Apache Directory Studio 1.5.4 Bugfix Release

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Pierre-Arnaud,

for all Jiras that were marked "Fixed for 1.5.4" I applied the missing
patches to the 1.5.x branch or removed the "Fixed for 1.5.4" label, so
the list of resolved/closed issues for 1.5.4 should now be consistent.
Next step is check the issues that are solved only in trunk and decide
if a backport makes sense. Then we should go through the list of open
bugs (and maybe improvements) and decide which issues are worth to fix
for 1.5.4 or 2.0.0 or both.

Another note: I had some trouble setting up the build for 1.5.x branch
and trunk because 1.5.x needs Maven2 and trunk needs Maven3. I don't
think it makes sense to migrate the 1.5.x branch to Maven3, right? My
default "mvn" command is M3. My first attempt was to create a symbolic
link "mvn2" that points to M2 and to use "mvn2 studio:eclipse" etc..
But that don't work because the studio:eclipse plugin launches another
"mvn" process which is then M3. So I removed maven completely from my
PATH and only added the right one in each console window.

Kind Regards
Stefan

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan, Emmanuel,

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
On 3/23/11 9:17 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny<el...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 3/23/11 4:37 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> it's almost one year since the last Apache Directory Studio release
>>> (1.5.3).
>>> I think the 2.0.0 release will take some more time.
>>>
>>> So I think we should release a 1.5.4 bugfix release in the next future.
>>>
>>> I browsed the issue list in Jira and there are already some issues marked
>>> as
>>> fixed for 1.5.4. There are also many bugs reported by users within the
>>> last
>>> year we should fix. Last not least I also found some issues with MS AD and
>>> ADAM I'd like to fix.
>> yes, sure. Or we may also want to eat the Milestone road instead. Like
>> releasing a 2.0.0-M1 instead of a 1.5.4.
> IMO that are distinct cases.
>
> Milestone releases to a 2.0.0 would be good, +1.
>
> But the current trunk contains lot of changes. Not all people want to
> use a milestone to work on productive directory servers. I think a
> bugfix release of the current stable version makes sense.

The thing is that it will depend on a milestone itself (ie, LDAP API
1.0.0-M2, or even M3). This is why I suggested to release a 2.0.0-M1
instead of a 1.5.4.

However, it's not a really big deal, IMO. Whatever fits you is ok.

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Go for a Apache Directory Studio 1.5.4 Bugfix Release

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 3/23/11 4:37 PM, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> it's almost one year since the last Apache Directory Studio release (1.5.3).
> I think the 2.0.0 release will take some more time.
>
> So I think we should release a 1.5.4 bugfix release in the next future.
>
> I browsed the issue list in Jira and there are already some issues marked as
> fixed for 1.5.4. There are also many bugs reported by users within the last
> year we should fix. Last not least I also found some issues with MS AD and
> ADAM I'd like to fix.

yes, sure. Or we may also want to eat the Milestone road instead. Like
releasing a 2.0.0-M1 instead of a 1.5.4.

wdyt ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com