Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "ZAIDI, ASAD A" <az...@att.com> on 2017/07/20 15:27:19 UTC

MUTATION messages were dropped in last 5000 ms for cross node timeout

Hello Folks -

I'm using apache-cassandra 2.2.8.

I see many messages like below in my system.log file. In Cassandra.yaml file [ cross_node_timeout: true] is set and NTP server is also running correcting clock drift on 16node cluster. I do not see pending or blocked HintedHandoff  in tpstats output though there are bunch of MUTATIONS dropped observed.

<start timeout message >
INFO  [ScheduledTasks:1] 2017-07-20 08:02:52,511 MessagingService.java:946 - MUTATION messages were dropped in last 5000 ms: 822 for internal timeout and 2152 for cross node timeout
<end timeout message >

I'm seeking help here if you please let me know what I need to check in order to address these cross node timeouts.

Thank you,
Asad

Re: MUTATION messages were dropped in last 5000 ms for cross node timeout

Posted by Akhil Mehra <ak...@gmail.com>.
Glad I could be of help :)

Hopefully the partition size resize goes smoothly.

Regards,
Akhil

Posted by Akhil Mehra <ak...@gmail.com>.
Hi Asad,

The 5000 ms is not configurable (https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/8b3a60b9a7dbefeecc06bace617279612ec7092d/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/net/MessagingService.java#L423 <https://github.com/apache/cassandra/blob/8b3a60b9a7dbefeecc06bace617279612ec7092d/src/java/org/apache/cassandra/net/MessagingService.java#L423>). This just the time after which the number of dropped messages are reported. Thus dropped messages are reported every 5000ms.

If you are looking to tweak the number of ms after which a message is considered dropped then you need to use the write_request_timeout_in_ms.  The write_request_timeout_in_ms (http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/configuration/configCassandra_yaml_r.html <http://docs.datastax.com/en/cassandra/2.1/cassandra/configuration/configCassandra_yaml_r.html>) can be used to increase the mutation timeout. By default it is set to 2000ms.

Posted by Akhil Mehra <ak...@gmail.com>.
Hi Asad,

http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/faq/index.html#why-message-dropped <http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/faq/index.html#why-message-dropped>

Posted by Erick Ramirez <fl...@gmail.com>.
Mutations get dropped because a node can't keep up with writes. If you
understand the Cassandra write path, writes are ACKed when the mutation is
appended to the commitlog which is why it's very fast.

Knowing that, dropped mutations mean that the disk is not able to keep up
with the IO. Another word for it is "overloaded".

So what do you do? Use fast SSDs (HDDs and EBS won't do) and size your
cluster correctly to deal with the peak load, i.e. add more nodes. Cheers!

Posted by "ZAIDI, ASAD A" <az...@att.com>.
Thanks for your reply Subroto – I’ll try you suggestions to see if this help. I’ll revert with results.

In a cloud environment, cross_node_timeout = true can cause issues; we had this issue in our environment and it is set to false now.
Dropped messages is an another issue

Subroto

Posted by Subroto Barua <sb...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Anuj Wadehra <an...@yahoo.co.in.INVALID>.
Hi Asad,
You can increase it by 2 at a time.  For example if its currently 2, try increasing it to 4 and retest.
We flush 5-6 tables at a time and use 3 memtable_flush_writers. It works great!! There were dropped mutations when it was set to one. The idea is to make sure that writes are not blocked.
ThanksAnuj
Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 at 20:04, ZAIDI, ASAD A<az...@att.com> wrote:   #yiv0831784205 #yiv0831784205 -- _filtered #yiv0831784205 {panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv0831784205 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}#yiv0831784205 #yiv0831784205 p.yiv0831784205MsoNormal, #yiv0831784205 li.yiv0831784205MsoNormal, #yiv0831784205 div.yiv0831784205MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;}#yiv0831784205 a:link, #yiv0831784205 span.yiv0831784205MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv0831784205 a:visited, #yiv0831784205 span.yiv0831784205MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv0831784205 p.yiv0831784205msonormal, #yiv0831784205 li.yiv0831784205msonormal, #yiv0831784205 div.yiv0831784205msonormal {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;}#yiv0831784205 p.yiv0831784205msochpdefault, #yiv0831784205 li.yiv0831784205msochpdefault, #yiv0831784205 div.yiv0831784205msochpdefault {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;}#yiv0831784205 span.yiv0831784205msohyperlink {}#yiv0831784205 span.yiv0831784205msohyperlinkfollowed {}#yiv0831784205 span.yiv0831784205emailstyle17 {}#yiv0831784205 p.yiv0831784205msonormal1, #yiv0831784205 li.yiv0831784205msonormal1, #yiv0831784205 div.yiv0831784205msonormal1 {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;}#yiv0831784205 span.yiv0831784205msohyperlink1 {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv0831784205 span.yiv0831784205msohyperlinkfollowed1 {color:#954F72;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv0831784205 span.yiv0831784205emailstyle171 {color:windowtext;}#yiv0831784205 p.yiv0831784205msochpdefault1, #yiv0831784205 li.yiv0831784205msochpdefault1, #yiv0831784205 div.yiv0831784205msochpdefault1 {margin-right:0in;margin-left:0in;font-size:12.0pt;}#yiv0831784205 span.yiv0831784205EmailStyle27 {color:#1F497D;}#yiv0831784205 .yiv0831784205MsoChpDefault {} _filtered #yiv0831784205 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}#yiv0831784205 div.yiv0831784205WordSection1 {}#yiv0831784205
Thank you for your reply. I’ll increase memTable_flush_writes and report back if it helps.

Is there any formula that we can use to arrive at correct number of memTable_flush_writers ? or the exercise would windup be like “try and error” taking much time to arrive at some number that may not be optimal.

Thank you again.

Posted by "ZAIDI, ASAD A" <az...@att.com>.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__overview.mail.yahoo.com_mobile_-3F.src-3DAndroid&d=DwMFaQ&c=LFYZ-o9_HUMeMTSQicvjIg&r=FsmDztdsVuIKml8IDhdHdg&m=wu-cVspapPKFg21Ul4vRDSw9hpc-s7H1OxPMTPTEApE&s=YCtcGLTbnUV3ZWX_ZFNGe-DCoXPuokN0NCCwS_ahD2I&e=>

Posted by Anuj Wadehra <an...@yahoo.co.in.INVALID>.
Hi Asad,

  On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 at 20:57, ZAIDI, ASAD A<az...@att.com> wrote:    <!--#yiv1235039646 _filtered #yiv1235039646 {font-family:"Cambria Math";panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv1235039646 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}#yiv1235039646 #yiv1235039646 p.yiv1235039646MsoNormal, #yiv1235039646 li.yiv1235039646MsoNormal, #yiv1235039646 div.yiv1235039646MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv1235039646 a:link, #yiv1235039646 span.yiv1235039646MsoHyperlink {color:#0563C1;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1235039646 a:visited, #yiv1235039646 span.yiv1235039646MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:#954F72;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1235039646 span.yiv1235039646EmailStyle17 {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv1235039646 .yiv1235039646MsoChpDefault {font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;} _filtered #yiv1235039646 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}#yiv1235039646 div.yiv1235039646WordSection1 {}-->