Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/04/20 19:34:23 UTC

Re: Using a non-template layout in a Velocity site (and a little rant about the TDK)

on 4/20/01 3:21 AM, "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <ma...@mail.hometree.net>
wrote:

> Oh, yes, I tried the TDK first, but franky, the number of things to
> look at is simply to overwhelming (Turbine, Velocity, Torque, Texen,
> Village, Intake-Service, Anakia to name just a few that crossed my
> mind). Ok, if you have six weeks time to toy with this and half a year
> to get experience, TDK is the right way to start. And a cool way,
> too. But without documentation (e.g. intake: "The only documentation
> is in the Scarab source". Ugh. How to get the scarab source? It's in
> an CVS server somewhere (if you go to scarab.tigris.org, you'll find
> some outdated links which may or may not lead to the right
> places... =:-) )
>
> Oh yes, I'd really like to contribute to the documentation. But no way
> that I learn five new undocumented tools just to contribute, because
> the docs are in xdocs somewhere and transformed. Where is a "how to
> contribute to the documentation" documentation? :-)
>
> The TDK is IMHO more of a technology demo than a really useful
> devlopment kit. Lots and lots of tools (which are helpful for turbine
> but not really necessary) to confuse the newcomer.
>
> Just using the turbine.jar and adding others as you go proved at least
> for me, much more helpful. I'm thinking about preparing some notes
> about this as a "Turbine without TDK" tutorial.
>
> Regards
> Henning

You are also clearly new to Open Source.

<http://jakarta.apache.org/site/understandingopensource.html>

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

Re: Using a non-template layout in a Velocity site (and a little

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 4/21/01 4:14 AM, "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <ma...@mail.hometree.net>
wrote:

> I would have preferred, however if you could have helped me with the
> technical part of my first mail. :-)
>
> Regards
> Henning

And I would have appreciated it if you would have figured out the technical
part on your own (this stuff isn't rocket science) and sent us documentation
or patches so that the next person who runs into the problem could have an
easier time.

:-)

Do you see the difference? My job isn't to help you, my job is to produce
cool solutions and share them with the rest of the world who can choose to
either work with those solutions or re-invent them on their own. You can
also choose to help out with this group effort or sit back and whine about
people not helping you out.

:-)

-jon

Re: Using a non-template layout in a Velocity site (and a little

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <ma...@mail.hometree.net>.
Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> writes:

>on 4/20/01 2:15 PM, "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <ma...@mail.hometree.net>
>wrote:

>> If I write a tutorial for Turbine in HTML, what would be your
>> reaction? "Cool" or "Do it again in XML"?
>>
>> Regards
>> Henning

>It would be both.

>"Cool and Do it again in XML"

--- cut ---
What that boils down to is, if you see something wrong and do nothing
about it, the opensource system hasnt failed you, *you* have failed
the opensource system.
--- cut ---

"So if your're missing a needed format in this project and you do
nothing about it, it is your own fault for not getting off your lazy
arse and taking advantage of the participation opensource allows." [I
was free to change a few words from the paragraph on your quoted
URL. :-) ]

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen       -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH     hps@intermeta.de

Am Schwabachgrund 22  Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0   info@intermeta.de
D-91054 Buckenhof     Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20

Re: Using a non-template layout in a Velocity site (and a little

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
wrote:

> If I write a tutorial for Turbine in HTML, what would be your
> reaction? "Cool" or "Do it again in XML"?
>
> Regards
> Henning

It would be both.

"Cool and Do it again in XML"

Part of working in OSS is following the rules and procedures of the overall
project. It is a group/team effort, not an individual going out and making
up their own rules. Otherwise there would be constant chaos and nothing
would get done.

Sure, there is a lot of individual personalities that make up the team, I'm
probably the one with the loudest and most direct personality. However, I'm
clearly here for the group effort and I think that stands out the most over
the nits that people have with my approach.

So, go ahead and post your little "rants" as they really don't do anything
to help anyone except make yourself feel better.

:-)

thanks,

-jon

Re: Using a non-template layout in a Velocity site (and a little

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <ma...@mail.hometree.net>.
Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> writes:

>You are also clearly new to Open Source.

No. Definitely not. Maybe new to the Jakarta effort but definitely
_not_ new to open source.

><http://jakarta.apache.org/site/understandingopensource.html>

But then again at least last week, I witnessed some of the "powers
that be" pissing off someone that _wanted_ to help by telling "do it
either our way or get lost". At least that was what it sounded to me.