Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/21 16:37:31 UTC

GSOC: Monitor Improvements

Hi all,

I would like to start writing the proposal for the GSoc. I've put together
some initial high level goals of the project. Please let me know what I can
improve.

Per table plots: Accumulo 594
---------------------

The goal of this is to display plots that explains the various activtities
that happens per table. When we go to the tables page of the monitor and go
to a specific table it displays some information in a table format. We can
argument this information by showing graphs for

1. Ingest entries
2. Ingest data size
3. Scan entries
4. Scan data size

Per tablet plots
----------------------

Same as in the table plots we can display information regarding tablet
servers in the tablet server page. The plots will display the same
information as table plots considering data per tablet server.

Trace Visualization: Accumulo 1198
----------------------------

Since we are displaying graphs about each tablet and each table we can add
major and minor compaction graph to each table and each tablet.

Or other option is to display this in a single graph in overview page with
different graph lines for different tables and tablets.

Server type information : Accumulo 807
---------------------------------

For displaying this informations we can add a new page and display the
information as a table. The table should specify the network address of the
server, server type, weather it is active or in-active etc.

Thanks,
Supun...

Re: GSOC: Monitor Improvements

Posted by Miguel Pereira <mi...@gmail.com>.
Mike, this might be what your are referring to, maybe not, for time series
visualization.

http://square.github.io/cubism/

Also, I found jmxtrans to be useful when writing metrics to ganglia /
graphite.

Cheers,
Miguel

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.

--
Supun Kamburugamuva

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>.

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for the valuable input. I'll start writing the proposal. I
really like to contribute to Accumulo and would like to take on the RRDTool
proposal by Eric after the summer. Hopefully I'll have time.

Thanks,
Supun..

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.

--
Supun Kamburugamuva

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gabe Bell <ch...@gmail.com>.
RE: RRDTool, there is rrd4j - a Java implementation licensed under Apache 2.0 (https://code.google.com/p/rrd4j/)

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.

--
Supun Kamburugamuva

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Supun,

Yup, very much so. Having a way to consume any and all metrics via JMX
would simplify things for any consumers (internal or external).

On 04/21/2013 02:15 PM, Supun Kamburugamuva wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I'll incorporate these to the proposal.
>
> Another area I would like to work is on JMX. There is a Jira that says to
> replace the Monitor calls from Thrift to JMX (Accumulo 694). Do you think
> this is a good addition to the Monitor?
>
> Thanks,
> Supun..
>

> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Supun,
>>
>> Looks good! Can I make some suggestions/comments?
>>
>> For: "Per table plots: ACCUMULO-594", I'd also like to see minor
>> compactions, major compactions, index cache hit rate, and data cache hit
>> rate per table (same graphs that are displayed system-wide when you visit
>> http://${MONITOR_HOST}:50095/.
>>
>> For "Per tablet [server] plots", it would be neat if you could also
>> extract some general statistics like top N least performing, top N highest
>> performing, etc. tablet servers. Ideally, this could correlate with servers
>> that may be having problems :).
>>
>> Do you see these proposed changes as being sufficient for 3-4 months of
>> 40hrs/week work? If you plan to really dig into these changes (perhaps
>> reworking components of the monitor itself), I could perhaps see this. Do
>> you have any ideas for more lofty goals that you could pursue as well? I
>> don't want you/us to get one month into things and see you complete
>> everything we initially planned to accomplish :)
>>
>> - Josh
>>

>> On 04/21/2013 10:37 AM, Supun Kamburugamuva wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I would like to start writing the proposal for the GSoc. I've put together
>>> some initial high level goals of the project. Please let me know what I
>>> can
>>> improve.
>>>
>>> Per table plots: Accumulo 594
>>> ---------------------
>>>
>>> The goal of this is to display plots that explains the various activtities
>>> that happens per table. When we go to the tables page of the monitor and
>>> go
>>> to a specific table it displays some information in a table format. We can
>>> argument this information by showing graphs for
>>>
>>> 1. Ingest entries
>>> 2. Ingest data size
>>> 3. Scan entries

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi Josh,

--
Supun Kamburugamuva

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Supun,

Looks good! Can I make some suggestions/comments?

For: "Per table plots: ACCUMULO-594", I'd also like to see minor
compactions, major compactions, index cache hit rate, and data cache hit
rate per table (same graphs that are displayed system-wide when you
visit http://${MONITOR_HOST}:50095/.

For "Per tablet [server] plots", it would be neat if you could also
extract some general statistics like top N least performing, top N
highest performing, etc. tablet servers. Ideally, this could correlate
with servers that may be having problems :).

Do you see these proposed changes as being sufficient for 3-4 months of
40hrs/week work? If you plan to really dig into these changes (perhaps
reworking components of the monitor itself), I could perhaps see this.
Do you have any ideas for more lofty goals that you could pursue as
well? I don't want you/us to get one month into things and see you