Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/02 17:06:10 UTC

Changing velocity web site

I am looking at velocity/site to determine what the process is in
order to update it.   It looks like Daniel converted velocity to
svnpubsub in 2014.  I can't find a jira issue in INFRA or VELOCITY
dealing with it, though.

Which directory is the live version?  velocity/site/production?  I can
always commit something and see if necessary.

And are we still using the documented build process?

*1635814    10/31/14, 1:06 PM    20151    humbedooh    Moving Velocity
site to svnpubsub

Re: Changing velocity web site

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.  I wasn't aware of that page.

Unfortunately, it confirms what I've guessed so far by reading through
the existing maven site docs + experimentation, without actually
providing the missing pieces :)

Everything past the site module is marked "TODO"

The one new piece of information I see there is a reference to
building engine site docs with ant but publishing via maven -- I'll
see if I can track that one down.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for pointing that one out.  I missed it despite Will mentioning
"committer" section.

I was looking at this one:

http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/VelocitySite

So that helps.

In the old days, the site was build in pieces, checked in, and then
merged using zones.

So the trick will be to either move that merging process back to the
local system or to directly push the pieces into the right place in
site/production.

I'll see if I can find a copy of /export/home/velocity/bin/*.sh in svn

Posted by Sergiu Dumitriu <se...@gmail.com>.
Especially http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/RebuildSites

On 06/09/2015 04:18 PM, Will Glass-Husain wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Have you reviewed the nots on the wiki?  They are old but may be of use.
> Look at "Committer" info section on this page.
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/
>
> WILL
>
> On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I've done some poking around.
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/site/production is indeed
>> the svnsubpub directory: any changes committed here are instantly
>> deployed to the web site.
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/velocity/site/site appears to be the
>> maven project to build the site.
>>
>> I've had limited success with this.   If I compare the target/site/*
>> files with the production/* files, I find:
>>
>> - The front page files are rebuilt with an updated copyright and last
>> published date, but they lose the "Project Documentation" section
>> (project info and project report links)
>>
>> - Same for the reports/ directory contents.
>>
>> - Many files are missing.
>>
>> I'm guessing that subprojects need to build the missing pieces (each
>> seems to have a src/site directory).   I attempted to build site using
>> mvn on trunk (2.x) but generated pages that look very different from
>> what's deployed.   I attempted to build site using mvn on 1.x (had to
>> upgrade findbugs-maven-plugin to what 2.x was using to make the build
>> work) and got a mostly blank page with a header that still looked
>> different.   So I'm not sure how to build the web site so that it
>> matches what's currently out there.
>>
>> If anyone has any hints, please let me know.
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 10:38 AM, Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> svnpubsub makes it so that whenever you commit to the svnpubsub
>>> directory, those changes are immediately pushed out into the live web
>>> site.
>>>
>>> So it's more of a change in how pages are published than a change in
>>> how pages are created.    I haven't looked that the build process for
>>> the site, but I would guess only the deployment stage needs to be
>>> updated.

Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu

Re: Changing velocity web site

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
I've done some poking around.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for looking in to this.  I don't think this was changed by any of
the Velocity committers.  I suspect it was done by infrastructure without
involvement by the Velocity team.