Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com> on 2009/08/10 07:47:28 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Hierarchical directory based configuration as the default configuration

Folks, yet another proposal :-)

Shall we make the hierarchical directory based synapse configuration to be
the default configuration mechanism? It will give Synapse many advantages
while we can make it have no disadvantages by supporting a synapse.xml file
inside the root of the configuration hierarchy.

So what I am proposing is that we create the repository/conf/synapse-config/
directory by the build and treat that as the synapse configuration root
which will have sup directories to hold individual artifacts like sequences,
endpoints and so on. At the same time we should support a synapse.xml file
to be embeded with multiple elements in the configuration root (in this case
the direcotry "synapse-config") supporting the existing behaviour.

With this we can get rid of the registry.xml and the local-entries.xml files
that we have on the configuration root and bring them into the synapse.xml
itself.

This would make the configuration nicely placed with different levels as
well as supporting the flat file at the same time by default.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ruwan

--
Ruwan Linton
Technical Lead & Product Manager; WSO2 ESB; http://wso2.org/esb

Re: [PROPOSAL] Hierarchical directory based configuration as the default configuration

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Very cool, thanks Hiranya this is very valuable.

Now we can switch the default behaviour to look at the synapse-config
directory.

Thanks,
Ruwan

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Devs,

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Amila,

You do not have to change to the new model, but now it is possible to have
individual configurations in different files by default... Keeping the
backwards compatibility we kept the synapse.xml as well on the root of the
artifact repository.

Thanks,
Ruwan

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Amila Suriarachchi <
amilasuriarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Hiranya Jayathilaka <
> hiranya911@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Amila,
>>
>> At the top level of the directory hierarchy you will find a synapse.xml
>> file. You can define your proxy service in this synapse.xml or you can
>> define it in a separate XML file (say PerfService.xml) and drop it into the
>> proxy-services directory.
>

> I think this means we can use the synapse.xml as in the old way even with
> the default directory based configuration.

+1...Most of our existing users are used to having the entire configuration
in the synapse.xml so we didn't want to make a drastic change to Synapse
configuration model at this point.

Thanks,
Hiranya

> I thought we need to change to the new way by default.
>
> thanks,
> Amila.
>

>> Thanks,
>> Hiranya
>>

>> On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Amila Suriarachchi <
>> amilasuriarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> hi Ruwan,
>>>
>>> Lets say I have a proxy service in the current synapse.xml like this.
>>>
>>> <proxy name="PerfService">
>>>     <target>
>>>         <inSequence>
>>>
>>>             <send>
>>>                 <endpoint name="dynamicLB">
>>>                     <dynamicLoadbalance failover="false"
>>>
>>> algorithm="org.apache.synapse.endpoints.algorithms.RoundRobin">
>>>                         <membershipHandler
>>>
>>> class="org.apache.synapse.core.axis2.Axis2LoadBalanceMembershipHandler">
>>>                             <property name="applicationDomain"
>>> value="apache.axis2.app.domain"/>
>>>                         </membershipHandler>
>>>                     </dynamicLoadbalance>
>>>                 </endpoint>
>>>             </send>
>>>             <drop/>
>>>         </inSequence>
>>>         <outSequence>
>>>              <send/>
>>>         </outSequence>
>>>     </target>
>>> </proxy>
>>>
>>> How do I supposed to write this using the new directory based
>>> configuration?
>>>
>>> thanks,

Hiranya Jayathilaka
Software Engineer;
WSO2 Inc.;  http://wso2.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Hierarchical directory based configuration as the default configuration

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
<hi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Amila,
>
> At the top level of the directory hierarchy you will find a synapse.xml
> file. You can define your proxy service in this synapse.xml or you can
> define it in a separate XML file (say PerfService.xml) and drop it into the
> proxy-services directory.

I think this means we can use the synapse.xml as in the old way even with
the default directory based configuration. I thought we need to change to
the new way by default.

thanks,
Amila.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amila,

At the top level of the directory hierarchy you will find a synapse.xml
file. You can define your proxy service in this synapse.xml or you can
define it in a separate XML file (say PerfService.xml) and drop it into the
proxy-services directory.

Thanks,
Hiranya

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Amila Suriarachchi <
amilasuriarachchi@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi Ruwan,
>
> Lets say I have a proxy service in the current synapse.xml like this.
>
> <proxy name="PerfService">
>     <target>
>         <inSequence>
>
>             <send>
>                 <endpoint name="dynamicLB">
>                     <dynamicLoadbalance failover="false"
>
> algorithm="org.apache.synapse.endpoints.algorithms.RoundRobin">
>                         <membershipHandler
>
> class="org.apache.synapse.core.axis2.Axis2LoadBalanceMembershipHandler">
>                             <property name="applicationDomain"
> value="apache.axis2.app.domain"/>
>                         </membershipHandler>
>                     </dynamicLoadbalance>
>                 </endpoint>
>             </send>
>             <drop/>
>         </inSequence>
>         <outSequence>
>              <send/>
>         </outSequence>
>     </target>
> </proxy>
>
> How do I supposed to write this using the new directory based
> configuration?
>
> thanks,
> Amila.
>

> On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Since there is no negative feedback on implementing this I have
>> implemented this on the trunk as well as on the 1.3 branch.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ruwan
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, Eric. As Hiranya explained it is configurable and you could keep
>>> that some where out of the ESB installation directory. I think the best
>>> practice for the production deployment has to be keeping that on a separate
>>> location.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ruwan

Hiranya Jayathilaka
Software Engineer;
WSO2 Inc.;  http://wso2.org

Re: [PROPOSAL] Hierarchical directory based configuration as the default configuration

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
hi Ruwan,

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hiranya Jayathilaka <hi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

--
Hiranya Jayathilaka
Software Engineer;

RE: [PROPOSAL] Hierarchical directory based configuration as the default configuration

Posted by "Hubert, Eric" <Er...@foxmobile.com>.
Hi Ruwan,