Posted to dev@parquet.apache.org by Gabor Szadovszky <ga...@apache.org> on 2019/02/19 16:44:21 UTC

Reverting the merge blocks command feature

Hi All,

During working on a fix I've discovered that the recently added (since
1.10.0) feature PARQUET-1381 is not properly implemented and causes some
unit test failures with my independent fix. After a more deep investigation
I think the design of this feature is conceptionally incompatible with our
current API. See the comments of the jira for more details.

Because I don't feel this feature very important for the current release I
think the most easier and painless solution is to revert it. Created the PR
#620 for it.

We usually don't do reverts especially for commits that are sitting in
master for a while. I would like to ask your opinions about it. Also feel
free to comment in the jira (about the design/implementation of the
feature) or the PR (about the revert).

Thanks a lot,
Gabor

Re: Reverting the merge blocks command feature

Posted by Gabor Szadovszky <ga...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Yes, it is related to PARQUET-1414. During the fix of PARQUET-1531 I've
added an exception to be thrown in the case when an empty page would be
written. Because of that I've discovered that the unit tests of this merge
features throw this exception so I started to investigate the
implementation of the feature. For the details of this investigation see
the PARQUET-1381.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: Reverting the merge blocks command feature

Posted by Gabor Szadovszky <ga...@apache.org>.
HI All,

Posted by Gabor Szadovszky <ga...@apache.org>.