Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by Sachith Withana <sw...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/31 17:55:55 UTC

Users and UserGroups in Science Gateways

Hi all,

Can someone explain to me the mapping of users to groups in a Science
Gateway? ( This is regarding the Amber usecase).

Can there be multiple user groups in a gateway portal when it comes to just
one usecase?
ex: If we have only one usecase for the portal ( such as Amber)

Sachith Withana

Re: Users and UserGroups in Science Gateways

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Can we please follow up on this? How is the current notion of users within Registry?

Suresh

Posted by "Miller, Mark" <mm...@sdsc.edu>.
Thanks for explaining Suresh!

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Let me see if I can clarify:

Posted by Sachith Withana <sw...@gmail.com>.
Yes. That's true.

IMO Gateways should be responsible in handling their users and groups.

Posted by Sachith Withana <sw...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Raman,

Posted by Raminder Singh <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sachith Withana <sw...@gmail.com>.
As an end user, I think even with just a single tool, the argument for a
group is there.

As Saminda suggested, one may wish to have a join area to work in with a
group, and individual work you aren't ready to share, even with just a
single tool.

Because a Gateway is wide open, it is easy to imagine a case where there
are several groups, each with (potentially overlapping) users, who all are
working with Amber for different projects..

I too forgot about the different project scenario.
I agree with all the suggestions brought up by Mark and Saminda. Thanks a
lot for the input.

The gateway itself have to manage the users and userGroups. I will look
into more usecases to figure out the best way to implement it.

Posted by Saminda Wijeratne <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Saminda Wijeratne <sa...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Sachith Withana <sw...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks a lot Saminda,
>
> So a user will have access to multiple shared spaces ( for each usergroup)
> and to his/her own private space.
>
> In the CIPRES usecase, how would you allow access to shared spaces in
> terms of the user experience?
> having one shared Space for the user and populate with all the experiments
> shared with the user or
> having multiple shared spaces categorized by the usergroup?

Unfortunately Airavata is still at its infant stage when managing users and
its groups. We do have the published space (shared among users in a
gateway) and user private space. We need to figure-out a good design and
architecture for managing user groups. But IMO this is more of a gateway
side feature rather than a middleware-resource-management goal.

Posted by "Miller, Mark" <mm...@sdsc.edu>.
In the CIPRES usecase, how would you allow access to shared spaces in terms of the user experience?
having one shared Space for the user and populate with all the experiments shared with the user or
having multiple shared spaces categorized by the usergroup?

The current CIPRES use case is focused on the single user, and so I would imagine the former.
This isn't an issue we have addressed yet since we don't support groups yet. But I imagine it would be
the users space is populated with all items (s)he is allowed to see.

Posted by Sachith Withana <sw...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot Saminda,

Posted by Saminda Wijeratne <sa...@gmail.com>.