Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl> on 2008/02/21 13:30:54 UTC

php shindig - progress report

Hey guys,

Since no one likes to hear "it's being worked on" without being able
to see it, and i now have the first visible workings of a php version
i thought i'd post a bit of a progress report.

I've been working for the last 7 or 8 days on a php port of the java
shindig code, I've chosen to follow the structure as closely as
possible where the language differences allows for it to make
supporting the same features and having the same behavior easier. Now
it's been a bit of a challenge, partially because the last time I've
read any java code is 8 years behind me, and partially since it's a
huge undertaking to port an entire large feature set and service
without being able to test it until all the components are done, and
php being a completely different environment then the java/jetty one.

I've now reached the point where the basic structure is working, and
it successfully renders the todo.xml gadget into a valid and correct
gadget.

I'm still working on the js, rpc, proxy and gadget token bits so their
not included in this, also the remote content gadgets are not
supported yet (though that will be very quick to follow).

I expect to have those lacking bits done in the near future, and
combined with a good bit of testing i hope to have a 'patch' ready for
submission soonish (and i need to formalize the permission to submit
it under the apache license with my employer, but that is a mere
formality).

Feature wise it's completely compatible to the java cousin, including
the 'features', message bundle, etc support and only the GadgetServer,
web service and caching parts are different from the java version (in
memory caching for instance couldn't work in a multi process php
environment), and i think i'll soon add a few more php specific
optimizations soon to speed the whole thing up a bit as well.

The code i'm using for porting is from feb 14th, i'll evaluate the
patches that happen in the meantime once i've got everything done,
since doing both would be to much of a strain progress right now.

A working demo can be seen here:
http://shindig.chabotc.com/ifr/?url=http://www.labpixies.com/campaigns/todo/todo.xml

And the code-so-far for those who are interested in a sneak preview of
it is here:
http://www.chabotc.com/php-shindig.tar.gz

Please do keep in mind that it's still work in progress, so i know
there's no gadget container yet, no proxy implementation etc; If you
just want a fully functional php shindig server, please wait a little
more since this is nothing but a code preview :)

	-- Chris

Re: php shindig - progress report

Posted by Karim Jouini <ka...@jouini.info>.
OK then i will start testing next week.

I'm working on a social network based on PHP, and really looking forward
about implementing Google OpenSocial API.

Keep us notified about your progress :) and "bon courage" as we say :-)

Karim

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
Well since it's completely uncharted territory at the moment, reverse
engineering the java version without to much in the line of
documentation, i guess the best and currently only way to contribute
at the moment, is to download the tarball i linked, do a svn checkout
of the java source, and see what's missing :-)

Currently that would be:
- Proxy service (including token signing requests)
- RPC service
- Js service

after those are done, you could contribute by testing, testing and
testing, and fixing that comes up short, and seeing where some area's
of the code might be improved,without deviating from the java
version's structure and workings to much.

	-- Chris

Posted by Karim Jouini <ka...@jouini.info>.
hey guys !

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
Hey Cassie,

I expect to have a 'feature complete' version done this week, that doesn't
mean that it's bug free and perfect yet, but quite functional and does all
the things the Java Shindig server did February the 14th (the codebase I'm
doing the porting from, I've marked recent developments and I'll chase those
changes down once the base is done). So I think that will probably be the
right time to submit the patch.

            -- Chris

  _____

Posted by Akash Xavier <ak...@gmail.com>.
Yeah,
Even if it is old just commit it. Its anyway way better than having a thing
that does pretty much less work.
If you feel this is going to be the base for further improments, just commit
it

--
Akash Xavier
akashmanohar@gmail.com

Re: php shindig - progress report

Posted by Cassie <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@skife.org>.
Awesome, I am all for replacing the existing... "stuff" !

-Brian

Posted by Patrick Chanezon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
El jue, 21-02-2008 a las 09:45 -0800, Cassie escribió:
> So Shindig definitely needs its own tests. The spec will only include
> compliance tests because thats all it can/should enforce. Compliance tests
> will never be equivalent to a regular testing suite because the spec allows
> a lot of different ways to handle one call.

Not to mention that regression tests added because of bugs that are not
spec related would never make into the compliance suite, but are valid
to ensure the same bug does not creep in again.

> It can't test for instance that a person's name field is equal to what you
> think it should be. That could only be in a shindig specific test. The
> compliance test would only make sure that the call returned an
> opensocial.Name object and had at least one field filled out.
>
> Hope that helps explain things.
>
> - Cassie
>

> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Bruno Bowden <br...@google.com> wrote:
>
> > Fantastic Chris. Thanks for the contributions.
> >
> > To help keep the two versions in sync, we should have test cases that can
> > be
> > run against both versions. That's something that belongs with the spec and
> > outside of Shindig.

As said above, compliance tests belong to the spec, but other tests, for
instance in areas where the spec is still not "cooked" or they have been
written to check a bug, they will be shindig specific, or even language
specific (imagine a test that only fails with jdk1.X, or only with a
certain PHP version running the code)

> > On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 4:30 AM, Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> >
> > > Hey guys,
> > >
> > > Since no one likes to hear "it's being worked on" without being able
> > > to see it, and i now have the first visible workings of a php version
> > > i thought i'd post a bit of a progress report.
> > >
> > > I've been working for the last 7 or 8 days on a php port of the java
> > > shindig code, I've chosen to follow the structure as closely as
> > > possible where the language differences allows for it to make
> > > supporting the same features and having the same behavior easier. Now
> > > it's been a bit of a challenge, partially because the last time I've
> > > read any java code is 8 years behind me, and partially since it's a
> > > huge undertaking to port an entire large feature set and service
> > > without being able to test it until all the components are done, and
> > > php being a completely different environment then the java/jetty one.
> > >
> > > I've now reached the point where the basic structure is working, and
> > > it successfully renders the todo.xml gadget into a valid and correct
> > > gadget.
> > >
> > > I'm still working on the js, rpc, proxy and gadget token bits so their
> > > not included in this, also the remote content gadgets are not
> > > supported yet (though that will be very quick to follow).
> > >
> > > I expect to have those lacking bits done in the near future, and
> > > combined with a good bit of testing i hope to have a 'patch' ready for
> > > submission soonish (and i need to formalize the permission to submit
> > > it under the apache license with my employer, but that is a mere
> > > formality).
> > >
> > > Feature wise it's completely compatible to the java cousin, including
> > > the 'features', message bundle, etc support and only the GadgetServer,
> > > web service and caching parts are different from the java version (in
> > > memory caching for instance couldn't work in a multi process php
> > > environment), and i think i'll soon add a few more php specific
> > > optimizations soon to speed the whole thing up a bit as well.
> > >
> > > The code i'm using for porting is from feb 14th, i'll evaluate the
> > > patches that happen in the meantime once i've got everything done,
> > > since doing both would be to much of a strain progress right now.
> > >
> > > A working demo can be seen here:
> > >

> > http://shindig.chabotc.com/ifr/?url=http://www.labpixies.com/campaigns/todo/todo.xml
> > >
> > > And the code-so-far for those who are interested in a sneak preview of
> > > it is here:
> > > http://www.chabotc.com/php-shindig.tar.gz

Cool to see things moving in this front.

--
Santiago Gala
http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/

Re: php shindig - progress report

Posted by Dan Peterson <dp...@google.com>.
Cool -- I like that the compliance tests themselves are embedded in a gadget
-- this makes it easy to test on lots of containers. In addition, simply
being able to run the complaince test gadget is a test in and of itself.

-Dan

Posted by Akash Xavier <ak...@gmail.com>.
Chris,
I was developing a parallel container in php after I noticed that Shndig php
is primitive. But happy that someone is working. My container code is very
kiddish.
If there's anything I can work on, please do tell me.

--
Akash Xavier
akashmanohar@gmail.com

Re: php shindig - progress report