Posted to user@struts.apache.org by ryan webb <we...@gmail.com> on 2008/03/06 06:12:22 UTC

I cannot transfer property to Form Bean

Dear fellow Struts users,

I am new in using Struts and I request your help.

Situation:
I am using Netbeans 6.0; Struts 1.2.9; Tomcat 6.0.14

I created an <html:select property="formatList"> in my jsp page, what is it
does is for sorting purposes.

here's the snippet:

And for my SortListFormBean.java I have a property private String formatList
with Getter and Setter

Problem:

when I am debugging, I found out that formatList property
fromSortListFormBean.java is always equal to null.

I am doing something wrong?

Godbless,

Ryan Webb --Philippines

Re: I cannot transfer property to Form Bean

Posted by ryan webb <we...@gmail.com>.
Dear Antonio,

That is same in my source code..do you think that is the cause?
I will check that one..And send you informations soon!

God bless,

Ryan Webb -- Philippines

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ryan webb <we...@gmail.com>.
Yes I agree..I cannot find the problem, I think it is much better if there's
2 pairs of eyes looking.

Here is the Action code.
public class SortListAction extends org.apache.struts.action.Action {

    /* forward name="success" path="" */
    private final static String SORT_LIST = "sortList";

    public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping, ActionForm  form,
            HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response)
            throws Exception {
        SortListActionForm slaf = new SortListActionForm();
        MediaDao mediaDao = new MediaDao();
        ArrayList aList = mediaDao.sortMediaList(slaf.getFormatList());

        request.setAttribute("medialist", aList.iterator());
        return mapping.findForward(SORT_LIST);

    }
}

And here I have the ActionForm (I commented validate method since user will
be selecting choices I defined):

package formbeans;

import org.apache.struts.action.ActionErrors;
import org.apache.struts.action.ActionMessage;

/**
 *
 * @author wst_01
 */
public class SortListActionForm extends org.apache.struts.action.ActionForm{

   private String formatList;

   public SortListActionForm() {
       super();
       // TODO Auto-generated constructor stub
   }

//   public ActionErrors validate(ActionMapping mapping, HttpServletRequest
request) {
//       ActionErrors errors = new ActionErrors();
//       if (getName() == null || getName().length() < 1) {
//           errors.add("name", new ActionMessage("error.name.required"));
//           // TODO: add 'error.name.required' key to your resources
//       }
//       return errors;
//   }

    public String getFormatList() {
        return formatList;
    }

    public void setFormatList(String formatList) {
        this.formatList = formatList;
    }
}

And lastly, I have here the Struts-config.xml

<struts-config>
    <data-sources>

    </data-sources>
    <form-beans>
        <form-bean name="SortListActionForm" type="
formbeans.SortListActionForm"/>
        <form-bean name="SortListActionForm" type="
formbeans.SortListActionForm"/>
        <form-bean name="LoginForm" type="formbeans.LoginForm"/>

    </form-beans>

    <global-exceptions>

    </global-exceptions>

    <global-forwards>
        <forward name="welcome"  path="/Welcome.do"/>
    </global-forwards>

    <action-mappings>
        <action input="/administratorsLogin.jsp" name="LoginForm"
path="/login" scope="request" type="actions.LoginAction">
            <forward name="loginSuccess" path="/adminPage.jsp"/>
            <forward name="loginFail" path="/administratorsLogin.jsp"/>
        </action>
        <action path="/mediaList" scope="request" type="
actions.MediaListAction">
            <forward name="mediaListView" path="/adminPage.jsp"/>
        </action>
        <action input="/adminPage.jsp" name="SortListActionForm"
path="/sortList" scope="request" type="actions.SortListAction"
validate="true">
            <forward name="sortList" path="/adminPage.jsp"/>
        </action>

I attached files you requested, I think it's much better to see them in
color..=) I also attached files related to databases..(just incase you might
need them).

God bless,
Ryan Webb -- Philippines

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ryan webb <we...@gmail.com>.
Dear Antonio,

Yes I did select an element I choose DVD+R then when I click sort now button
the WebPage exploded
containing Tomcat Error Message. (null pointer exception).

By the way, thank you very much for reading my email and for the reply..=)

God bless,
Ryan Webb --Philippines

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.