Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org> on 2007/04/11 08:24:43 UTC

Avoiding duplicate packages in different modules

There are a number of packages that are spread in different jars.
As best practice and to play well with OSGi the same package shouldn't
be in two modules
We should copy classes to a new package, make old ones extend them and
deprecate to retain compatibility.

I filed it as MNG-2943

Let me know if somebody is concerned about this change and/or comment
in the jira for suggestions on how things should be moved around

Re: Avoiding duplicate packages in different modules

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 4/11/07, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> I'm unclear as to what you are actually proposing. Does this apply to
> new JARs, existing JARs. What is it that you're actually going to do
> and why does this apply to the core of Maven?

I'd like to make sure a package is not used in two different jars.

For instance org.apache.maven.monitor.event is in maven-core and
maven-monitor, either the maven-core org.apache.maven.monitor.event.*
are moved to maven-monitor or the package is renamed.

This doesn't affect already released jars, only next versions. And
we'd do it in a backwards compatible way.

> Jason.

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: Avoiding duplicate packages in different modules

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.