Posted to users@maven.apache.org by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/25 10:41:21 UTC

[ANNOUNCE] plugins to add to the plugins Matrix: webstart, keytool and exec

Here are a small set of m2 plugins I've developped which are missing
in the confluence Plugin Matrix page. Please update the page.

Here's the list
- exec-maven-plugin: to execute programs (with some features for
classpath management)
- keytool-maven-plugin: only generate keystores right now
- webstart-maven-plugin: to generate webstart 'packages' (sign jars,
pack200, generate JNLP files)

All:
- are in the mojo-sandbox.
- are in alpha status but usable

Cheers,

Jerome

[m2] exec vs execute (was RE: [ANNOUNCE] plugins to add to the plugins Matrix: webstart, keytool and exec)

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Hi Jerome,

[snip]

> > > Here's the list
> > > - exec-maven-plugin: to execute programs (with some features for
> > > classpath management)
> >
> > Did you guys sort out which one is going to be used long term? The
> > execute or exec plugin? We should probably lean toward usings commons-
> > exec. Is that what you're using?
>
> - execute and exec are not solving the exact same problem. I've put
> some notes in exec-maven-plugin/NOTES about potential merge. Not sure
> they will be merged.
> - today plexus-utils cli and commons-exec are mostly similar.
> commons-exec will go throught several changes, so I prefered to keep
> using plexus-utils until commons-exec stabilizes

[snip]

I've just commented on the mojo list about your note on exec vs execute
differences.

I don't see much difference and for me exec is a clear superset of execute.

Let's continue the discussion on the mojo list.

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: [ANNOUNCE] plugins to add to the plugins Matrix: webstart, keytool and exec

Posted by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.
On 10/25/05, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 10:41 +0200, jerome lacoste wrote:
> > Here are a small set of m2 plugins I've developped which are missing
> > in the confluence Plugin Matrix page. Please update the page.
> >
> > Here's the list
> > - exec-maven-plugin: to execute programs (with some features for
> > classpath management)
>
> Did you guys sort out which one is going to be used long term? The
> execute or exec plugin? We should probably lean toward usings commons-
> exec. Is that what you're using?

- execute and exec are not solving the exact same problem. I've put
some notes in exec-maven-plugin/NOTES about potential merge. Not sure
they will be merged.
- today plexus-utils cli and commons-exec are mostly similar.
commons-exec will go throught several changes, so I prefered to keep
using plexus-utils until commons-exec stabilizes

> > - keytool-maven-plugin: only generate keystores right now
>
> Are you aware of the plexus component that brett started for dealing
> with keys and keystores?

No idea. That mean I will have to change the implementation to use his
plexus component, right?
I also wrote jar signing (MNG-1130), implemented around jarsigner.

The keytool plugin and the jar signing are reused by the webstart plugin.

> http://svn.plexus.codehaus.org/trunk/plexus-components/plexus-password-
> store/
>
> Might want to take a peek at that first.

Justed look at it.
Just handles password right know. So it's not in a state I can reuse.
Brett do you plan to add key generation?
Anything you can reuse from my plugins?

> > - webstart-maven-plugin: to generate webstart 'packages' (sign jars,
> > pack200, generate JNLP files)
>
> I'll add this one later on today. I think the two above there need some
> syncing with other code before being added to the matrix. If you've
> already chatted with Jesse then just ping me and I'll add whatever is
> needed to the matrix. I'm in IRC.

I will talk again with Jesse. Thanks.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 10:41 +0200, jerome lacoste wrote:
> Here are a small set of m2 plugins I've developped which are missing
> in the confluence Plugin Matrix page. Please update the page.
>
> Here's the list
> - exec-maven-plugin: to execute programs (with some features for
> classpath management)

Did you guys sort out which one is going to be used long term? The
execute or exec plugin? We should probably lean toward usings commons-
exec. Is that what you're using?

> - keytool-maven-plugin: only generate keystores right now

Are you aware of the plexus component that brett started for dealing
with keys and keystores?

http://svn.plexus.codehaus.org/trunk/plexus-components/plexus-password-
store/

Might want to take a peek at that first.

> - webstart-maven-plugin: to generate webstart 'packages' (sign jars,
> pack200, generate JNLP files)

I'll add this one later on today. I think the two above there need some
syncing with other code before being added to the matrix. If you've
already chatted with Jesse then just ping me and I'll add whatever is
needed to the matrix. I'm in IRC.

> All:
> - are in the mojo-sandbox.
> - are in alpha status but usable

Ok, cool.

> Cheers,
>
> Jerome

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

First, the taking in of scattered particulars under one Idea,
so that everyone understands what is being talked about ... Second,
the separation of the Idea into parts, by dividing it at the joints,
as nature directs, not breaking any limb in half as a bad carver might.

  -- Plato, Phaedrus (Notes on the Synthesis of Form by C. Alexander)

Re: [ANNOUNCE] plugins to add to the plugins Matrix: webstart, keytool and exec

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 21:00 +0200, jerome lacoste wrote:
> > > Yes. He didn't have the time to do it these days, so I did it.
> >
> > So you are working from what he started? I added you as an author of the
> > JNLP plugin in the matrix.
>
> He didn't have the time to start it. RIght now I haven't received any
> external contributions yet (in terms of code). I reused some code from
> the ant-jnlp tasks, which is under the ASL 2.0 license.
>
> Some things you may want to add to the plugin page.
>
> - a tick for the m2 version

Done.

> - a tick for the doc (even thought it's not yet inside the plugin, it
> exists on a confluence page referenced from the plugin doc and it's
> pretty complete to my point of view). It covers all existing features.
> (http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MOJO/Webstart+Plugin)

Ok, but please convert it over to APT like the other plug-ins (or most
of the other plug-ins). The reason being I eventually want the site to
be deployed with plug-in releases so that I can gather all the doco for
plug-ins by scanning the central repository and indexing it. Basically I
would like to automate the production of the plug-in matrix and cohesive
reference for plug-ins. Having doco in confluence makes this difficult.

> - my confluence login is jerome@coffeebreaks.org so you can link my name to it.

Done.

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Jerome

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

Re: [ANNOUNCE] plugins to add to the plugins Matrix: webstart, keytool and exec

Posted by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 08:39 +0200, jerome lacoste wrote:
> On 10/25/05, Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 10:41 +0200, jerome lacoste wrote:
> > > Here are a small set of m2 plugins I've developped which are missing
> > > in the confluence Plugin Matrix page. Please update the page.
> > >
> > > - webstart-maven-plugin: to generate webstart 'packages' (sign jars,
> > > pack200, generate JNLP files)
> >
> > I just looked in the matrix and Kris Bravo has started a JNLP plugin.
> > Have you contacted him already?
>
> Yes. He didn't have the time to do it these days, so I did it.

So you are working from what he started? I added you as an author of the
JNLP plugin in the matrix.

> Jerome

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

 -- Shakespeare

Re: [ANNOUNCE] plugins to add to the plugins Matrix: webstart, keytool and exec

Posted by jerome lacoste <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 10:41 +0200, jerome lacoste wrote:
> Here are a small set of m2 plugins I've developped which are missing
> in the confluence Plugin Matrix page. Please update the page.
>
> - webstart-maven-plugin: to generate webstart 'packages' (sign jars,
> pack200, generate JNLP files)

I just looked in the matrix and Kris Bravo has started a JNLP plugin.
Have you contacted him already?

> All:
> - are in the mojo-sandbox.
> - are in alpha status but usable