Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/23 21:16:06 UTC

Future of KarafEE

Hi

Sorry for posting abount KarafEE on this list, but this is related to Karaf.

I made last days a short journey through projects connected with/based on
Karaf and I have seen, the Karaf EE code has been removed from the main
repository of the OpenEJB (now TomEE)  and a separate repository for this stuff
has been created. It is a result of the repository reorganization
(http://openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/SVN-Reorg-td4660262.html). I don't know
whether I have correctly understood this thread, but I think, they have no
plans for further development of this stuff.

Are we (as Karaf community) interested in further development of the OpenEJB
extension of Karaf (by contributing the TomEE project or by moving tho code to
Karaf)?

Best regards
Krzysztof

Re: Future of KarafEE

Posted by Krzysztof Sobkowiak <kr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Charles

I think, it's a good idea to move it to Karaf. Would it be a separate module
(e.g. ejb) of the Karaf source repository or a separate subproject (like
Webconsole, Cellar or EIK)? As I'm interested in contributing Karaf (and to be
a committer in the future) I'd like to help by this module.

I think, it would be good idea to integrate the actual state with the Karaf
2.x branch and implement the improoved modular version in the trunk.

Best regards
Krzysztof

On Sunday 24 of March 2013 09:46:13 Charles Moulliard wrote:

Hi Krzystof, As I have contributed with Romain to the development of KarafEE
and speaks about that at the last ApacheCon 2012 - Germany, I'm very concerned
about your email. As TomEE users are much more interested by non OSGI
applications development there is a great interest to move KarafEE extensions
to Karaf project as a subproject. Most probably that we should also have a
look to what pax cdi/ejb has done to use a more plug'n'play approach to use
weld, openwebbeans, openejb, ... containers as until now KarafEE is stick to
openejb/openwebbeans only. If Karaf project is interested, I can talk to
Romain to move the code from TomEE to Karaf. Regards, Charles

Re: Future of KarafEE

Posted by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>.
For sure that we will first discussion that on Karaf dev before to take a
collegial decision.

--
Charles Moulliard

Re: Future of KarafEE

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Charles,

I think that before replying to an user with this kind of assertion, it
should be discussed on the dev mailing list of both projects.

Anyway, both communities are in touch (I'm in touch with Romain and
Jean-Louis as well ;)), but AFAIR, we agreed to keep KarafEE in OpenEJB
for now (like TomEE is in OpenEJB and not in Tomcat).

I'm not against about moving KarafEE as a Karaf subproject, but right
now, the KarafEE development is performed by OpenEJB committers who are
not Karaf committer. So, it's not just a "move", it's also a vote to
promote new Karaf committer, etc.

Regards
JB

On 03/24/2013 09:46 AM, Charles Moulliard wrote:
> Hi Krzystof,
>
> As I have contributed with Romain to the development of KarafEE and
> speaks about that at the last ApacheCon 2012 - Germany, I'm very
> concerned about your email. As TomEE users are much more interested by
> non OSGI applications development there is a great interest to move
> KarafEE extensions to Karaf project as a subproject. Most probably that
> we should also have a look to what pax cdi/ejb has done to use a more
> plug'n'play approach to use weld, openwebbeans, openejb, ... containers
> as until now KarafEE is stick to openejb/openwebbeans only.
> If Karaf project is interested, I can talk to Romain to move the code
> from TomEE to Karaf.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles
>

> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 9:16 PM, Krzysztof Sobkowiak
> <krzys.sobkowiak@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Hi
>
>     Sorry for posting abount KarafEE on this list, but this is related
>     to Karaf.
>
>     I made last days a short journey through projects connected
>     with/based on
>     Karaf and I have seen, the Karaf EE code has been removed from the main
>     repository of the OpenEJB (now TomEE)  and a separate repository for
>     this stuff
>     has been created. It is a result of the repository reorganization
>     (http://openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/SVN-Reorg-td4660262.html). I
>     don't know
>     whether I have correctly understood this thread, but I think, they
>     have no
>     plans for further development of this stuff.
>
>     Are we (as Karaf community) interested in further development of the
>     OpenEJB
>     extension of Karaf (by contributing the TomEE project or by moving
>     tho code to
>     Karaf)?
>
>     Best regards
>     Krzysztof