Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by John Hjelmstad <fa...@google.com> on 2011/01/11 01:40:29 UTC

Re: Pub/Sub for different containers.

Very late response, back from vacation. Gadget-to-gadget is typically only
supported by proxying messages through the container. The pubsub and
pubsub-2 features do this but other ad hoc solutions have been built as
well.

Early work is being done to allow direct sibling addressing ie.
to="/mySiblingsId" though this only works on window.postMessage at the
moment.

I'm implementing a transport that utilizes Flash, with which it *may* be
possible to provide similar functionality, but it's too early to say.

-j

Posted by Kevin Marks <ke...@gmail.com>.
The work in Wave (now also an apache project) may be useful here - they have
gadgets with a shared state between multiple users of them within a
container, and Wave itself can bridge between hosts. Have a look at
http://sharedspaces.googlelabs.com/

Posted by John Hjelmstad <fa...@google.com>.
Before the Flash transport, it wasn't even theoretically possible to support
gadget-gadget without a relay, and nobody requested the functionality
either, so no time was invested. It's also worth noting that gadget-gadget
by definition demands an addressing scheme, which is under the purview of
the containing context (ie IFRAME ID and name), so enforcing the security
requirement underlying gadget-gadget (container inability to snoop/spoof) is
tricky.

Re: the Flash transport, it's public:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/shindig/trunk/features/src/main/javascript/features/rpc//flash.transport.js
...and: