Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2002/07/04 19:18:46 UTC

nice mod_perl statistics to share

I've just updated the mod_perl with the latest stats and I'm glad to say
that the results are nice, so you can show your bosses that they did the
right choice (or should) ;)

This is the netcraft.com:
http://perl.apache.org/release/outstanding/stats/netcraft.html

and this is www.securityspace.com
http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200206/apachemods.html?mod=cGVybA==

at this rate:
http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200206/apachemods.html
we are going to catch up with php quickly :) now where are the world
domination T-Shirts?

Re: nice mod_perl statistics to share

Posted by Ade Olonoh <ol...@yahoo.com>.
> This is the netcraft.com:
> http://perl.apache.org/release/outstanding/stats/netcraft.html

In case you're interested, here are the stats w/ the hosts per IP
calculated starting at Jan 2001.  I was curious to see if the increase
in hosts had more to do with an increase of virtual hosts (on ISPs for
example) rather than unique people making the deliberate choice to
install and use mod_perl.  The good news seems that the avg. no. hosts
per IP have dropped from last year, and remained about the same for the
past year.  So it seems like more people are making the concious
decision, other caveats aside.

 Hosts     IPs      Hosts Per IP
 -----     ---      ------------
 3789712   437454   8.66
 3594884   410391   8.76
 3633952   411314   8.83
 3478130   393860   8.83
 3354370   388506   8.63
 2819847   341458   8.26
 2720503   326545   8.33
 2651419   322595   8.22
 2540267   293633   8.65
 2899420   281192  10.31
 2823060   283180   9.97
 2936558   281471  10.43
 2802093   273827  10.23
 2475367   265466   9.32
 2482288   256862   9.66
 2298821   244201   9.41
 2203353   230502   9.56
 2001011   225123   8.89
 1811864   214467   8.45
 1524620   197931   7.70
 1597399   183327   8.71
 1508381   170758   8.83
 1476602   152073   9.71
 1286714   132940   9.68
 1080206   123008   8.78
  852675   108327   7.87
  736805    95994   7.68
  612425    85749   7.14
  478614    74515   6.42
  418742    66239   6.32

--Ade.

Re: nice mod_perl statistics to share

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Mithun Bhattacharya wrote:

> The company I work for utilizes multiple webservers sitting behind a
> load balancer which in turn are talking to multiple application servers
> who in turn are talking to couple of interface servers talking to third
> party systems. If you hit our domain it would reflect just one
> webserver

I think most of the "bucket shop" holiday sites are set up like that.

73,
Ged.

Re: nice mod_perl statistics to share

Posted by Mithun Bhattacharya <in...@yahoo.com>.
--- Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> wrote:

> > I don't understand why you think so.  If the '/' url is handled by
> > mod_perl enable server, then mod_perl will show up in the headers,
> > proxy server or not.  Sure, there'll be some servers where you

But do we consider a proxy implementation as two mod_perl installations
or one ? I am sure "other technologies" would love to beat their chest
as two installations. If you throw in mod_backhand the figures go
haywire even more.

The company I work for utilizes multiple webservers sitting behind a
load balancer which in turn are talking to multiple application servers
who in turn are talking to couple of interface servers talking to third
party systems. If you hit our domain it would reflect just one
webserver

Mithun

http://sbc.yahoo.com

Re: nice mod_perl statistics to share

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Ask Bjoern Hansen wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>>Also you must not forget that a huge amount of back-end mod_perl servers
>>are simply invisible to these scanners because they are running behind a
>>proxy. So I won't be surprised if the real number is at least about
>>twice larger.
>

> I don't understand why you think so.  If the '/' url is handled by a
> mod_perl enable server, then mod_perl will show up in the headers,
> proxy server or not.  Sure, there'll be some servers where you can't
> see that it's handled by mod_perl, but I doubt that it's all that
> many.
>
> $ lwp-request -e -d -S 'http://dev.perl.org/' | grep ^Server
> Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_perl/1.27

heh, that's true, shame on me :)

Re: nice mod_perl statistics to share

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@develooper.com>.
On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Stas Bekman wrote:

[...]
> Also you must not forget that a huge amount of back-end mod_perl servers
> are simply invisible to these scanners because they are running behind a
> proxy. So I won't be surprised if the real number is at least about
> twice larger.

I don't understand why you think so.  If the '/' url is handled by a
mod_perl enable server, then mod_perl will show up in the headers,
proxy server or not.  Sure, there'll be some servers where you can't
see that it's handled by mod_perl, but I doubt that it's all that
many.

$ lwp-request -e -d -S 'http://dev.perl.org/' | grep ^Server
Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) mod_perl/1.27

 - ask

--
ask bjoern hansen, http://askbjoernhansen.com/ !try; do();

Re: nice mod_perl statistics to share

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Michael A Nachbaur wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Jul 2002 01:18:46 +0800 Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>I've just updated the mod_perl with the latest stats and I'm glad to
>>say that the results are nice, so you can show your bosses that they
>>did the right choice (or should) ;)
>

> Any ideas on what caused such a huge jump in usage?  Besides the fact
> that mod_perl is awesome, of course...

Sorry this info is under NDA ;)

Let's see... in January 2002 the mod_perl cookbook[1] was published and
since then the bar just keeps on going up. It must be Geoff, Randy and
Paul's fault.

[1] http://www.modperlcookbook.org/

Re: nice mod_perl statistics to share

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi all,

On 5 Jul 2002, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

> Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org> writes:
>
> > On 5 Jul 2002, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
> >
> > > RH comes as default with mod_perl compiled as a DSO.
> >
> > No it does not - it doesn't install Apache by default.
>
> Come again?

RH offers several options in its automated install routine.  One of
them is "server" and I think what Dave meant was that this installs
Apache/mod_perl for you - does it?

73,
Ged.

Re: nice mod_perl statistics to share

Posted by Dave Hodgkinson <da...@hodgkinson.org>.
Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org> writes:

> On 5 Jul 2002, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
>
> > Michael A Nachbaur <mi...@nachbaur.com> writes:
> >
> > > Any ideas on what caused such a huge jump in usage?  Besides the fact
> > > that mod_perl is awesome, of course...
> >
> > Usage or installage?
> >
> > RH comes as default with mod_perl compiled as a DSO.
>
> No it does not - it doesn't install Apache by default.

Come again?

OK, put it another way, hosting companies (like Rackspace) when
putting up an internet-facing box with Apache, will install the RedHat
set of Apache packages which includes all kinds of stuff like mod_ssl,
mod_php and mod_perl.

Acceptable?
--
David Hodgkinson, Wizard for Hire        http://www.davehodgkinson.com
Editor-in-chief, The Highway Star           http://www.deep-purple.com

Re: nice mod_perl statistics to share

Posted by Matt Sergeant <ma...@sergeant.org>.
On 5 Jul 2002, Dave Hodgkinson wrote:

> Michael A Nachbaur <mi...@nachbaur.com> writes:
>
> > Any ideas on what caused such a huge jump in usage?  Besides the fact
> > that mod_perl is awesome, of course...
>
> Usage or installage?
>
> RH comes as default with mod_perl compiled as a DSO.

No it does not - it doesn't install Apache by default.

--
<!-- Matt -->
<:->Get a smart net</:->

Re: nice mod_perl statistics to share

Posted by Dave Hodgkinson <da...@hodgkinson.org>.

Posted by Michael A Nachbaur <mi...@nachbaur.com>.
On Fri, 05 Jul 2002 01:18:46 +0800 Stas Bekman wrote:
> I've just updated the mod_perl with the latest stats and I'm glad to
> say that the results are nice, so you can show your bosses that they
> did the right choice (or should) ;)

Any ideas on what caused such a huge jump in usage?  Besides the fact
that mod_perl is awesome, of course...

--
OpenSource: Every now and then, you get what you don't pay for.

Re: nice mod_perl statistics to share

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Kevin Berggren wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> I've just updated the mod_perl with the latest stats and I'm glad to
>> say that the results are nice, so you can show your bosses that they
>> did the right choice (or should) ;)
>>
>> This is the netcraft.com:
>> http://perl.apache.org/release/outstanding/stats/netcraft.html
>

> With the new perl.apache.org site, this seems to have disappeared.  Any
> chance it has a new home?

The /release/ prefix was for only for the preview stage. Simply remove
this prefix segment and you get the same page on the new site. We don't
want to add redirects for /release/, so people will not link to
/release, it was a temporal thing after all.

All the stats are here:
http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/stats/