Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jerry Jalenak <Je...@LABONE.com> on 2002/08/29 15:28:01 UTC

[Proposal] Thread Topic Identification (was [BS] Are we getting o ff the topic)

<comment>

	Still chuckling about the Veggie Tales thread from yesterday. Thanks
to everyone for lightening up the afternoon!

</comment>

James Mitchell had a suggestion yesterday about using a [topic] prefix in
the subject line that can be used to filter threads.  I know that I would
use this as I don't really care about how to configure WebSphere or JBuilder
(no offense intended) to use Struts.  James had a pretty good start on a
list (see below); I vote that we ALL begin trying to use these and expand on
them as needed.  It would be nice to be able to limit the number of e-mails
that we all have to deal with from this list (and all of the others) that we
belong to.

James List:

[DynaForms]
[Validator]
[Logging]
[DTD]
[EJB]
[i18n]
[IDE]		- maybe include the name of the IDE?  i.e [IDE-JBuilder]
[JSTL]
[Modules] or [Sub-Apps]
[Struts-Example]
[Tiles]
[SOAP]
[Taglib]
[UML]

I would like to add

[Struts-Config]
[Tiles-Config]
[Validator-Config]

etc.

or is this getting to fine-grained?

Jerry Jalenak
Development Manager, Web Publishing
LabOne, Inc.
10101 Renner Blvd.
Lenexa, KS  66219
(913) 577-1496
jerry.jalenak@labone.com

This transmission (and any information attached to it) may be confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the transmission to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this transmission in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify LabOne at (800)388-4675.

Re: [Proposal] Thread Topic Identification (was [BS] Are we gettingo ff the topic)

Posted by Mark Nichols <dh...@hotmail.com>.
+1

/\/\ark

Posted by Cliff Rowley <cl...@onsea.net>.
It's a good idea, but in practice I think it's going to be a hassle,
especially if this list grows.  Those who are filtering will have to go
through the rigmarole of setting them up again should they have to
reinstall their client.  And new users will also have to start
filtering, and I can foresee lots of posts in the future informing
people of the use of filters etc.

I think it would be a whole lot less hassle to keep a core struts
mailing list, and move off-topic discussions to another list -
'struts-related' or something.  It doesn't seem fair to force those not
interested in the other stuff to take measures to filter it when they're
not even a part of it in the first place :)

On Thu, 2002-08-29 at 14:40, Michael Lee wrote:
> I think a filter is good...the best filter being [OT]
> My 5 c
> add...
> [APPSVR-WLS]
> [APPSVR-JBOSS]
> [WEBSVR-TOMCAT]
> [WEBSVR-JRUN]
> etc...
> Michael Lee

Regards

Re: [Proposal] Thread Topic Identification (was [BS] Are we getting o ff the topic)