Posted to jcp-open@apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2007/07/03 22:15:42 UTC

New policy operational impact

After reading over the new draft JCP policy, it isn't clear to me
what the operational impact will be on existing projects.  I think it
would be helpful to have an attached FAQ for the policy that answers
the questions that keep coming up in this discussion.  For example:

   Can projects that implement a JSR with a NDA restricted TCK
continue to use the TCK?

   Can such projects make certified releases? uncertified releases?
maintenance releases? snapshot releases?

   If releases are restricted, can a project make one final release
(within a reasonable amount of time) before the policy takes effect?

   Will private mailing lists for TCKs be shutdown?

   Can new JSRs be implemented even if we know will not we request
access to TCKs under the new policy?  What about JSRs that are
extensions to JSRs we already implements (JEE 6, Servlet 3.0, etc.)?

That is all I have off the top of my head, but I'm sure others will
have questions.

-dain