Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> on 2010/05/13 15:05:50 UTC

AccessControlProvider on security workspace. (JR2)

Hi,

Would it be possible to use the AccessControlProvider from the default "content" workspace on the security workspace, provided the rep:* nodes were suitably protected with ACLs?

I need to delegate group administration and deny read in places.

Ian

Re: AccessControlProvider on security workspace. (JR2)

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
On 14 May 2010, at 19:59, Angela Schreiber wrote:

> Ian Boston wrote:
>
>> Do you think there would be a problem extending the rep:Group node  from
>> [rep:Group] > rep:Authorizable
>>  - rep:members (WEAKREFERENCE) protected multiple < 'rep:Authorizable'
>> [rep:Group] > rep:Authorizable
>>  - rep:members (WEAKREFERENCE) protected multiple < 'rep:Authorizable'
>>  - rep:managers (STRING) protected multiple
>>  - rep:viewers (STRING) protected multiple
>
>> I am not asking that the spec be extended since thats JSR work, just if its going to conflict with things in the future that you know of ?
>
> the user management currently doesn't for part of the JCR spec.
> it's a jackrabbit specific extension due to the fact we at
> Day have the need for user management.
>
> as far as i understood: you want to cover access control functionality
> with those 2 properties. is that correct?

yes

> if this is the case i would
> rather define a mixin. without having thought about it carefully that
> would look more appropriate to me since the 2 properties are not intrinsic characteristics of a Group itself but [in JCR lingo] rather belong to an access control policy that may be applied or even be effective by default on a specific group node.

agreed.

> modification of those properties thus is from my point of view rather
> a question of being allowed to manipulate the access control of the group node than of changing the groups properties or adding/removing
> a member from the group...

agreed, I need to think a bit more about this, however  I think that the policy is so simple compared to full ACL's that manage effectively gives administrative rights over the group, avoiding the need for a finer grained policy separating properties and access control policy.

> but that's just my gut feeling without knowing the details behind your
> questions.

We have a need for a) private groups and b) delegated administration of individual groups

> hope it helps anyway

It does, thank you, no more questions :)
Ian

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com>.
Ian Boston wrote:

> Do you think there would be a problem extending the rep:Group node  from
>
> [rep:Group] > rep:Authorizable
>   - rep:members (WEAKREFERENCE) protected multiple < 'rep:Authorizable'

> [rep:Group] > rep:Authorizable
>   - rep:members (WEAKREFERENCE) protected multiple < 'rep:Authorizable'
>   - rep:managers (STRING) protected multiple
>   - rep:viewers (STRING) protected multiple

> I am not asking that the spec be extended since thats JSR work, just if its going to conflict with things in the future that you know of ?

the user management currently doesn't for part of the JCR spec.
it's a jackrabbit specific extension due to the fact we at
Day have the need for user management.

as far as i understood: you want to cover access control functionality
with those 2 properties. is that correct? if this is the case i would

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
On 14 May 2010, at 07:04, Angela Schreiber wrote:

> hi ian
>
>> Would it be possible to use the AccessControlProvider from the default "content" workspace on the security workspace, provided the rep:* nodes were suitably protected with ACLs?
>
> sure. you can define the AccessControlProvider to be used
> in the configuration of each workspace separately.
>
> for this you have to add the following element to the workspace
> config:
>
> <Workspace>
> [...]
>  <WorkspaceSecurity>
>     <AccessControlProvider class="...">
>       [... additional provider configuration ...]
>     </AccessControlProvider>
>  </WorkspaceSecurity>
> [...]
> </Workspace>
>
> hope this helps
> angela

Angela,
Yes,
thank you, one more question.

Do you think there would be a problem extending the rep:Group node  from

[rep:Group] > rep:Authorizable
  - rep:members (WEAKREFERENCE) protected multiple < 'rep:Authorizable'

[rep:Group] > rep:Authorizable
  - rep:members (WEAKREFERENCE) protected multiple < 'rep:Authorizable'
  - rep:managers (STRING) protected multiple
  - rep:viewers (STRING) protected multiple

I am not asking that the spec be extended since thats JSR work, just if its going to conflict with things in the future that you know of ?

rep:managers, if present specifies principals of users who can manage the group, giving them the same privileges, for this group as members of the Group Administrators group.
rep:viewers if present specified principals of users who can see the group.

Thanks

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@day.com>.
hi ian