Posted to user@pivot.apache.org by Piotr Kołaczkowski <pk...@ii.pw.edu.pl> on 2011/06/21 17:20:29 UTC

Pivot 2.1

Hi,

Where can I find a roadmap for 2.1 and when are you planning to release it?
I'm asking, because the Pivot website makes a (false) impression that
Pivot is not too actively developed - it is almost half a year since
2.0, and still the latest official thing to download is 2.0. Not even
2.0.1... Knowing the release cycle would help us plan our product
releases (and decide, whether we wait for 2.1, or release with 2.0).

Regards,
Piotr

--
Piotr Kołaczkowski
Instytut Informatyki, Politechnika Warszawska

Re: Pivot 2.1

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@verizon.net>.
Hi Piotr,
The next release is being actively discussed on the Dev list. Someone will post back here when more information is available.
Greg

Re: Pivot 2.1

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Piotr,
as Greg said to you, this is a question we actively discussed this week, and
in short:
since January we are actively working on the maintenance release 2.0.1,
trying to fix all things found by us or by our growing number of users (and
as you can imagine it's not a simple thing, even because none of us is
working full time on it ...), while keeping it fully compatible with 2.0,
and adding some small missing features useful to our users in real
applications.

For the final 2.0.1 release I think that we could go to the end of July /
max end of August, while for the 2.1 final (more aggressive in terms of
features, but breaking the compatibility on some things in respect to the
2.0.x line) I think we could go to the end of 2011, just to have a rough
idea of our plan.
To speedup things anyone interested could join and help us, even on testing
the code (from trunk or when proposed a test preview), testing in many
combinations (OS, Java version, etc) is a must for a rock solid product.

So in short I can say you to start working with the 2.0 final, or if you
can/want from the trunk (it's stable because we are doing mostly bug
fixing).

I know that projects without frequent releases give a bad perception, but we
are a small team and we already do as much as possible. To improve things
even from this point of view, we plan to update our site with some News ...
and probably even something is our Wiki.
And we are trying to see if/how to use the Apache CI to generate snapshots,
but with low priority for us at the moment.

Of course this is not an official "press release" on what will happen, but
my point of view and a summary of what we discussed this week, but of course
if anyone of us has other info is free to write here ...

Hope this helps, otherwise ask here, we'll be happy to help, and spread
Pivot in the world :-) .

Bye,
Sandro