Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Aaron Optimizer Digulla <di...@hepe.com> on 2000/11/16 13:23:11 UTC

FATAL ERROR: null on second page

Hello,

It seems that FOP has a lot of problems with page breaks :-)
When my document has enough text to fill a second page
or when I add blocks with break-before="page", I get this:

setting up fonts
formatting FOs into areas
 [1] [2FATAL ERROR: null

This is almost as much fun as the notorious "FATAL ERROR:
empty String" which kills FOP every now and then. It also
seems that FOP doesn't work with Xalan Java 2 (some APIs
have changed).

Since the developers of FOP reject the idea to ship FOP with
a version of Xalan with which FOP works, when will FOP work
without problems with Xalan 2 ?

Also, please drop the catching of exceptions because the
error messages printed by FOP are completely useless
otherwise.

Thanks a lot,

Sowatec AG,       CH-8330 Pfäffikon (ZH)
Witzbergstr. 7,   http://www.sowatec.com
Tel: +41-(0)1-952 55 55
Fax: +41-(0)1-952 55 66
Aaron "Optimizer" Digulla, digulla@sowatec.com

Re: FATAL ERROR: null on second page

Posted by Aaron Optimizer Digulla <di...@hepe.com>.
On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 09:42:00PM -0700, Kelly Campbell wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 01:23:11PM +0100, Aaron Optimizer Digulla wrote:
> > This is almost as much fun as the notorious "FATAL ERROR:
> > empty String" which kills FOP every now and then. It also
> > seems that FOP doesn't work with Xalan Java 2 (some APIs
> > have changed).
>
> Have you tried the cvs version of FOP? What version are you using that's
> giving you the errors?

The latest release with the xerces from Xalan 2. I guess this
combination is not very smart. I'm now using the CVS version
and Xalan 1 and everything works again except for a strange
external-graphic bug which I'm currently hunting.

> > Since the developers of FOP reject the idea to ship FOP with
> > a version of Xalan with which FOP works, when will FOP work
> > without problems with Xalan 2 ?
>
> I can't speak for the FOP project as I'm not a committer, but isn't Xalan 2
> just at an inital development stage? If you need Xalan 2 features, you can
> use Xalan2 by itself to generate formatting objects via xslt and then pass
> the fo file to FOP. FOP only uses Xalan if you're using the
> XalanCommandLine application.

I checked after this mail and it seems that you're right :-)
Maybe I should have followed my intuition when I wondered
why one can still download Xalan 1 :-)

> > Also, please drop the catching of exceptions because the
> > error messages printed by FOP are completely useless
> > otherwise.
>
> I added a -d flag to the command line version of FOP to report stack
> traces when errors happen. This is in the current cvs version and will be
> in FOP 0.15 when that gets released. Note that this is currently only
> supported on the CommandLine app, not the XalanCommandLine or other apps.
> I will look at adding a standard set of command line options to all the
> command line versions sometime.

Wouldn't it be much better to change the API to offer some kind of "pipe"
system ? Like this:

- A pipe to read XML and XSLT which produces FOP.
- A pipe which reads FOP and produces PDF
- etc.

Then the command lines would just open streams to setup the pipes and
the pipes would do the rest.

Posted by Fotis Jannidis <fo...@lrz.uni-muenchen.de>.
Kelly:
> I added a -d flag to the command line version of FOP to report stack
> traces when errors happen.

This is very useful.

> This is in the current cvs version and will be
> in FOP 0.15 when that gets released. Note that this is currently only
> supported on the CommandLine app, not the XalanCommandLine or other apps.
> I will look at adding a standard set of command line options to all the
> command line versions sometime.

Wouldn't it be better anyway to have some base class which
implements most of the code which tends to the same anyway and
have either subclasses for the start of some specific command or
just use flags to select the renderer?

Fotis

Re: FATAL ERROR: null on second page

Posted by Kelly Campbell <ca...@camk.net>.
On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 01:23:11PM +0100, Aaron Optimizer Digulla wrote:
> This is almost as much fun as the notorious "FATAL ERROR:
> empty String" which kills FOP every now and then. It also
> seems that FOP doesn't work with Xalan Java 2 (some APIs
> have changed).

Have you tried the cvs version of FOP? What version are you using that's
giving you the errors?

> Since the developers of FOP reject the idea to ship FOP with
> a version of Xalan with which FOP works, when will FOP work
> without problems with Xalan 2 ?

I can't speak for the FOP project as I'm not a committer, but isn't Xalan 2
just at an inital development stage? If you need Xalan 2 features, you can
use Xalan2 by itself to generate formatting objects via xslt and then pass
the fo file to FOP. FOP only uses Xalan if you're using the
XalanCommandLine application.

> Also, please drop the catching of exceptions because the
> error messages printed by FOP are completely useless
> otherwise.

I added a -d flag to the command line version of FOP to report stack
traces when errors happen. This is in the current cvs version and will be
in FOP 0.15 when that gets released. Note that this is currently only
supported on the CommandLine app, not the XalanCommandLine or other apps.
I will look at adding a standard set of command line options to all the
command line versions sometime.

-Kelly
--
Kelly A. Campbell                        Software Engineer
camk@channelpoint.com                    Channelpoint, Inc.