Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kedzior Wojciech <Wo...@gemalto.com> on 2010/03/02 08:10:46 UTC

remote debug with tomcat 3.3.2

Hello,

I'm having a problem with setting up a remote debug session to my Tomcat 3.3.2 Final.  I am copying some classes I developed into the working directory of an application deployed on tomcat.  I can connect to the remote debug port from eclipse but the debugger will not stop on any break points what so ever.  Here is my environment:

I specify the following system variables:

JPDA_ADDRESS=8000
JPDA_TRANSPORT=dt_socket

I start my Tomcat with the jpda start parameters.

While tailing the logs I can see the following line:

Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 8000

At this point I can connect to the remote debug port from Eclipse.  I can see all the treads running within Tomcat, but my debug will not stop on any breakpoints.  Even though the class I am trying to debug was created by me in Eclipse and I have the correct source.

The classes were compiled using Java 1.5.0_09.  Tomcat also uses the same version of Java.

The tomcat is deployed on Linux RedHat 5.
Eclipse version is 3.5.1

The complied classes have a reference to the .java file.

To prove that the problem occurs with the entire deployment I obtained the sources for the deployed application, linked them in my eclipse and set some debug points.  I know the flow goes through the line with break points because I used some dirty System.err output to prove this.

One thing that may be a hint is that the Tomcat startup log shows the following line:

EmbededTomcat: Startup time 45

The thing to note here is that I don't have control over the actual war file deployed in tomcat.  I simply get the war from a different department in the company, deploy it, and write some classes that the deployed application will pick up and use.

I have studied this Embedded Tomcat a little bit and I don't know if this could be a problem.

Has someone experienced anything like this before? If so, I would appreciate it very much if you could shed some (even the dimmest) light onto this.

Thanks,

Wojtek Kedzior

RE: remote debug with tomcat 3.3.2

Posted by Kedzior Wojciech <Wo...@gemalto.com>.
I see.  Thanks for the input.

I think I will try to run the app (as a local experiment only) on tomcat 6 to see what happens.  If that fails I may try to recompile 3.3.2.

Cheers

I'm pretty sure that I compiled the binary for 3.3.2 without debugging
support.  The only thing I can think of is to download the source release of
3.3.2 and compile it with debugging.

At the time 3.3.2 was released, using a debugger in Java was so painful that
almost nobody did it.

Posted by Bill Barker <bi...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Kedzior Wojciech <Wo...@gemalto.com>.
Hahaha!