Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/04 14:02:43 UTC

About Authz documentation for 2.0

  Hi,

I'm trying to update the documentation about Authz for 2.0 at the same
time I'm reviewing the code.

As it's not the most simpler part of the server, I think the
documentation must be realy wll written for our users to be able to
understand how the full system works.

Looking at the current documentation, we have many pages related to this
part :

ADS 1.0 :
https://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/authorization.html
https://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/enablesearchforallusers.html
https://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/userclasses.html
https://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/subentries.html (broken)
https://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/userpermissions.html (broken)
https://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/denysubentryaccess.html (broken)
https://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/allowselfpasswordmodify.html
https://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/grantadddelmodtogroup (broken)
https://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx10/grantmodtoentry (broken)

https://cwiki.apache.org/DIRxSRVx11/25-authorization.html
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/acareas.html
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/enablesearchforallusers.html
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/userclasses.html
http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/allowselfpasswordmodify.html
(many missing links too)

As everyone can see, it's far from being complete.

I would like to suggest a new structure for this part of the documentation :
1) Introduction : in a few words, describe the model
2) Definitions : define all the acronyms and terms we will use (ACI,
UserClasses, ...)
3) Enabling Access Control : (Not sure about it) How to enable the system.
4) ACI description
   4.1) EntryACI
   4.2) PrescriptiveACI
   4.3) SubentryACI
5) ACI elements
   5.1) UserClasses
   5.2) ProtectedItems
   5.3) Permissions
   5.4) Subtree
6) The ACDF engine
   6.1) How it works
   6.2) Selections
   6.3) Constraints
   6.4) Priority
7) Using ACI (trails)
   7.1) ...
8) Protecting the ACIs (administrating them)

This is just a first shot, please feel free to provide any feedback.

Thanks !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com