Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> on 2005/01/05 11:59:57 UTC

Pushing 2.2 (was Re: Using the standard Jaxp parser in Cocoon.java)

Upayavira wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Upayavira wrote:

>>> As is leaving things alone so you don't take the risk of breaking
>>> things :-)
>>>
>> Exactly - and we should try to make sense out of our version numbers
>> especially wrt compatibility.
>

> I think we should be keeping 2.1.X as stable as possible, and be
> tidying trunk.

+1

> We therefore need to be thinking about how to get trunk released
> within a reasonable time (6 months?), and therefore be prepared to
> delay some features until 2.3 if their development is going to take
> too long.

+1 also. I think the include feature in xconf will make the pressure to
release 2.2 higher ;-)

> After all, 2.1.X is a _maintenance_ branch, but that doesn't seem too
> much like how we're using it - we're adding stuff to it that should go
> in 2.2, only because we don't know when 2.2 will be out, we're not
> happy to just have it there.

Good analysis. The problem is that trunk has not (or had not before
include) enough distinguishing features to make it really appealing
compared to 2.1. And it therefore doesn't urge us to release it, leading
new features to be added to 2.1 also as we need them on production
systems. Chicken and egg...

So raising the demand for 2.2 may simply be a matter for us developpers
to add new features only on 2.2 and use it more on realworld projects.
That will urge us to officially release it before our projects go into
production.

Sylvain

Re: Pushing 2.2 (was Re: Using the standard Jaxp parser in Cocoon.java)

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>> Good analysis. The problem is that trunk has not (or had not before
>> include) enough distinguishing features to make it really appealing
>> compared to 2.1. And it therefore doesn't urge us to release it,
>> leading new features to be added to 2.1 also as we need them on
>> production systems. Chicken and egg...
>>
>> So raising the demand for 2.2 may simply be a matter for us
>> developpers to add new features only on 2.2 and use it more on
>> realworld projects. That will urge us to officially release it before
>> our projects go into production.
>>
> My personal opinion is that we just need these virtual components
> and then have the final 2.2 (apart from polishing).

+ stable cForms and I'm fine with a 2.2 release too

Everything else
> can go into 2.3.

yep, especially real blocks need some more time :-(

--
Reinhard

Re: Pushing 2.2 (was Re: Using the standard Jaxp parser in Cocoon.java)

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> My personal opinion is that we just need these virtual components
> and then have the final 2.2 (apart from polishing). Everything else
> can go into 2.3.

My perception has been that 2.2 was waiting for "real blocks".  However,
I believe Sylvain is right. The include feature gets us along that path
far enough for now to make releasing soon desirable.

Ralph

Re: Pushing 2.2 (was Re: Using the standard Jaxp parser in Cocoon.java)

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>> Good analysis. The problem is that trunk has not (or had not before
>> include) enough distinguishing features to make it really appealing
>> compared to 2.1. And it therefore doesn't urge us to release it,
>> leading new features to be added to 2.1 also as we need them on
>> production systems. Chicken and egg...
>>
>> So raising the demand for 2.2 may simply be a matter for us
>> developpers to add new features only on 2.2 and use it more on
>> realworld projects. That will urge us to officially release it before
>> our projects go into production.
>>
> My personal opinion is that we just need these virtual components
> and then have the final 2.2 (apart from polishing). Everything else
> can go into 2.3.

Very much agreed! Release early and often.

--
Stefano.

Re: Pushing 2.2 (was Re: Using the standard Jaxp parser in Cocoon.java)

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Good analysis. The problem is that trunk has not (or had not before
> include) enough distinguishing features to make it really appealing
> compared to 2.1. And it therefore doesn't urge us to release it, leading
> new features to be added to 2.1 also as we need them on production
> systems. Chicken and egg...
>
> So raising the demand for 2.2 may simply be a matter for us developpers
> to add new features only on 2.2 and use it more on realworld projects.
> That will urge us to officially release it before our projects go into
> production.

My personal opinion is that we just need these virtual components
and then have the final 2.2 (apart from polishing). Everything else
can go into 2.3.

Carsten