Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@ispol.com> on 2004/12/09 17:32:54 UTC

Mod_python TODO

Just wanted to take a moment to welcome our two new committers - Scott
Sanders and Nicolas Lehuen, thanks for your help.

Here is a list of starting points of things that need attention. It's in
the form eferences to the list. (Something like bugzilla would be nicer at
this point - I'm open to suggestions and if need be can provide hosting
resources).

I'm assuming searchale archives of httpd-python are available somewhere,
mod_python certainly is. If not, I can send you my copy in mbox format.

Some of these are simple issues, some may not be issues at all, but would
need to be replicated to verify that there indeed is a problem and that it
is not a misunderstanding of how mod_python works. Some are not bugs at
all, but more of feature requests/suggested improvements that may need to
thought through and perhaps bounced around the list. I'll be happy to
discuss these on the dev list. A couple of these things may be fixed
already, a few are just documentation changes.

From: Daniel Popowich <dp...@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:31:17 -0400
To: python-dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: PythonImport inside VirtualHost not an error?

From: Colin Stewart <co...@owlfish.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 23:16:42 -0400
To: python-dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Session timeout bug

From: Nicolas Lehuen <ni...@lehuen.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:49:47 +0200
Subject: [mod_python] Circular references starting from the request object
are not collected

   I find this quite a big problem, and I don't find any workaround except
   "Don't reference the request object from anywhere that might be
referenced
   by the request object", which is a pretty big limitation, quite annoying
in
   the application I'm building.

This may be by the user addressed by registering a cleanup to break the
circ ref?

From: mike bayer <mi...@zzzcomputing.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:31:27 -0400 (EDT)
To: mod_python@modpython.org
Subject: [mod_python] Session "deadlock" feature / bug ?

From: Brian Bird <br...@securetrading.com>
To: <mo...@modpython.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 11:11:24 +0100
Subject: [mod_python] Bug in BaseSession.py

From: Jerry Seutter <js...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 12:56:16 -0600
Subject: Re: [mod_python] inithandler never called?

[this is a possible documentation change]

From: Nicolas Lehuen <ni...@lehuen.com>
Subject: RE: Circular references starting from the request objectare not
collected
To: <py...@httpd.apache.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:53:06 +0200

From: Paul Haake <pn...@cornell.edu>
From: Paul Haake <pn...@cornell.edu>
To: python-dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Bug in _filter_read?

From: Robert Fendt <rm...@web.de>
To: mod_python@modpython.org
Subject: [mod_python] PSP content-type problem
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:33:11 +0200

Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 02:49:10 +0200
From: Evert Carton <ev...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: [mod_python] HostNameLookups

From: Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au>
Subject: [mod_python] Setting PythonOption to an empty string.
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 22:05:00 +1000

Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:04:32 +1000
From: Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au>
Cc: mod_python@modpython.org
Subject: [mod_python] Bug in mod_python.c causing multiple/redundant
interpreter creation.

Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:56:40 +0200
From: Nicolas Lehuen <ni...@lehuen.com>
Cc: mod_python@modpython.org
Subject: RE: [mod_python] RE: Bug in mod_python.c causing
multiple/redundantinterpreter creation.

Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:54:08 +1000
From: Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au>
multiple/redundantinterpreter creation.

Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:02:54 -0700
From: Robert Brewer <fu...@amor.org>
To: mod_python@modpython.org
Subject: [mod_python] bug in apache.build_cgi_env

Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 14:11:25 -0700
From: Johannes Erdfelt <jo...@erdfelt.com>
To: mod_python@modpython.org
Subject: [mod_python] vampire form validation

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:02:51 -0500
From: Jon-Pierre Gentil <jg...@sebistar.net>
To: mod_python@modpython.org
Subject: [mod_python] Bug when using Publisher with Callable Objects:

To: grisha@modpython.org
Subject: mod_python/apache SSLMutexes not being released
http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2004-May/015622.html

Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:54:44 -0400
From: Mark McClain <ma...@gsoa.net>
Cc: python-dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [mod_python] Authentification/Session Management

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:08:33 +0200
From: "Indrek [ISO-8859-1] J?rve" <in...@inversion.ee>
To: python-dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Slow file uploads on win32

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:51:51 +0200
From: David Fraser <da...@sjsoft.com>
To: python-dev@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Strange bug in req.sendfile

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:44:26 -0700 (MST)
From: Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au>
To: David Fraser <da...@sjsoft.com>
Subject: Re: [mod_python] Directory separator in uri/filename on Win32.

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 19:59:27 -0700 (MST)
From: Graham Dumpleton <gr...@dscpl.com.au>
Subject: [mod_python] Bug in setting interpreter name with
PythonInterpPerDirectory.

RE: Mod_python TODO

Posted by Nicolas Lehuen <ni...@lehuen.com>.
Thanks you Grisha !

To begin with, I'm ready to handle the issues I've raised in the list you
gave :
1) Circular references causing a memory leak : patch ready
2) Multiple interpreters incorrectly spawning in a multi-threaded context :
patch ready, thanks to Graham's help.

Both patches were deployed on a production server (Win2K Server SP4 + Apache
2.0.52) for weeks now, so it should not break anything.

As for a bug tracking system, it would be very useful to coordinate our
work. Bugzilla is great, of course, with a proven design and used by many
projects, but since we're talking Python here, why not show our commitment
to the language by using Roundup (http://roundup.sourceforge.net/) ? I'm
using it at work for small projects and I found it very simple to install,
very simple to use and very useful (the sad thing is that it doesn't run on
top of mod_python yet). What I don't know is where to run Bugzilla or
Roundup ; do we have access to an "official" server on which we can install
scripts, or should we use our own resources ?

Regards,
Nicolas

Re: Mod_python TODO

Posted by Scott Sanders <sa...@apache.org>.
I will deposit a request with infrastructure.

Thanks
Scott

Re: Mod_python TODO

Posted by "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <gr...@modpython.org>.