Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by attr <at...@o2.pl> on 2013/09/25 14:49:48 UTC

Keeping user roles in different realm than users

Is it possible to authenticate a user against one realm (i.e.: LDAP) but authorize (obtain roles the user belongs to) against another realm (i.e. database)?
Any other solutions than writing an error-prone homegrown one that will allow to keep users in one realm, user roles in the other realm and still be able to use container-managed authentication with authorization. Best regards.Kamil

Re: Keeping user roles in different realm than users

Posted by "Terence M. Bandoian" <te...@tmbsw.com>.
On 9/25/2013 7:49 AM, attr wrote:
> Is it possible to authenticate a user against one realm (i.e.: LDAP) but authorize (obtain roles the user belongs to) against another realm (i.e. database)?
> Any other solutions than writing an error-prone homegrown one that will allow to keep users in one realm, user roles in the other realm and still be able to use container-managed authentication with authorization. Best regards.Kamil

Error-prone homegrown?  Who's writing your software?

-Terence Bandoian

Re: Keeping user roles in different realm than users

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
attr wrote:
> Is it possible to authenticate a user against one realm (i.e.: LDAP) but authorize (obtain roles the user belongs to) against another realm (i.e. database)?
> Any other solutions than writing an error-prone homegrown one that will allow to keep users in one realm, user roles in the other realm and still be able to use container-managed authentication with authorization. Best regards.Kamil

No idea about your real question.
But a note/warning : if you manage to do this, it means that in the future you will always
have to synchronise your LDAP directory with your database "roles" table, in terms of
which user-id's are valid (new users, users leaving etc.).  That is not necessarily
trivial in practical cases.

Re: Keeping user roles in different realm than users

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Keeping user roles in different realm than users

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
> Subject: Re: Keeping user roles in different realm than users

> > Any other solutions than writing an error-prone homegrown one that
> > will allow to keep users in one realm, user roles in the other
> > realm and still be able to use container-managed authentication
> > with authorization.

> Tomcat does not ship with anything like this out of the box.

There is the CombinedRealm, which might make the implementation somewhat easier.  The OP would still need a second Realm implementation for the roles, but that could be another LDAP one.

 - Chuck

Re: Keeping user roles in different realm than users

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.