Posted to dev@giraph.apache.org by Linux TUX <az...@yahoo.com> on 2013/06/13 15:02:58 UTC

Some advice for a developer to show him how to run Giraph via source code

Dear All,

I am a new arrival here, and I have some questions to ask in the following:

1) Can Giraph be run alone, or having Hadoop installed is mandatory to run it (for testing, I mean)?
2) I have downloaded "giraph-1.0.0.tar.gz", but I do not know how to import this to a Eclipse workspace as a Java project and then run some examples of this via Eclipse.

Finally, let me put it straight, it would be very appreciated if somebody tells me the steps that I must follow to run Giraph via source code using Eclipse. I hope to be a contributory member of this community very soon.

Best regards,
Pouya

Some advice for a developer to show him how to run Giraph via source code

Re: Some advice for a developer to show him how to run Giraph via source code

Posted by Linux TUX <az...@yahoo.com>.
Dear Martella,
Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,
Pouya

________________________________
>> I am a new arrival here, and I have some questions to ask in the
>> following:
>>
>> 1) Can Giraph be run alone, or having Hadoop installed is mandatory to
>> run it (for testing, I mean)?
>>
> Testing (i.e. unittests) can be run locally (search for LocalJobRunner).
>

>  2) I have downloaded "giraph-1.0.0.tar.gz", but I do not know how to
>> import this to a Eclipse workspace as a Java project and then run some
>> examples of this via Eclipse.
>>
> I edit in Intellij and then run from the command line myself.

what i do with eclipse is:
1) run mvn eclipse:eclipse in the parent directory (the one that you
actually get from the repository)
2) the previous command will prepare the directory to be imported to
eclipse, and download dependencies in the local repo. Hence you import all
the project through "import" -> "existing projects"
3) remove the munged/* folders from the build path
4) add the src/main/java and src/main/test directories to the build path
5) this assumes you have the maven M2 variable set correctly in eclipse
pointing to your local repo
6) edit the code from eclipse

the rest i do from the command line.

--
   Claudio Martella
  claudio.martella@gmail.com

Re: Some advice for a developer to show him how to run Giraph via source code

Posted by Claudio Martella <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
   Claudio Martella
   claudio.martella@gmail.com

Re: Some advice for a developer to show him how to run Giraph via source code

Posted by Avery Ching <ac...@apache.org>.
Inlined answers.