Posted to bsf-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at> on 2007/05/26 12:37:55 UTC

Request for feedback/ideas on a BSF presentation (ApacheCon US) ...

Hi there,

at the upcoming ApacheCon US my proposal to give a presentation about
BSF got accepted! This is what the presentation is intended about:

"Title: Jakarta BSF: Add Scriptability to Your Java Application"
Level: Novice
Style: Presentation
Orientation: Technical

Abstract:

The Jakarta Bean Scripting Framework (BSF) allows Java applications to easily employ scripting languages. Applying the BSF framework allows to use any supported scripting language to be used as a macro language for any Java application. The current version 2.4 of the BSF framework can be employed for Java 1.4 and up.
The upcoming new version of Jakarta BSF 3.0 is an opensource implementation of the JSR-223 specifications (a.k.a. "Java 1.6 Scripting Framework") available already for Java 1.4 and up."

For preparing the presentation it might be helpful to gather your input:
what do you think should be stressed, pointed out, demonstrated, such
that the audience can get to see the advantages and pick up the concepts
to become immediately productive?

TIA,

---rony

Re: Request for feedback/ideas on a BSF presentation (ApacheCon US) ...

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 5/27/07, Rony G. Flatscher <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at> wrote:

<snip/>

> We should try to get another BSF 3 release out before ApacheCon...
> Yes! Also, how about trying to get and test it with the TCK (what would
> be necessary for that) ?

That would be great but it seems to be taking ages to get access to the
JSR-223 TCK. I'll ping them again now.

   ...ant

Re: Request for feedback/ideas on a BSF presentation (ApacheCon US) ...

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi ant,

> Hey great stuff! I can give help with some examples of how BSF is used in
> some of the WS and SOA projects like Apache Synapse and Apache Tuscany.
*YES*, *please* do so!!

The more nutshell examples, the better as they would allow developing a
pattern of how applying BSF can help become more productive!

We should add them to a pool of new BSF nutshell examples, and I would
add those examples that cannot be presented after the end of the
presentation in the slides PDF file.

> We should try to get another BSF 3 release out before ApacheCon...
Yes! Also, how about trying to get and test it with the TCK (what would
be necessary for that) ?

---rony

P.S.: Starting in the middle of July I can be of more help myself again
as the summer semester will be over by then around here.

Re: Request for feedback/ideas on a BSF presentation (ApacheCon US) ...

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey great stuff! I can give help with some examples of how BSF is used in
some of the WS and SOA projects like Apache Synapse and Apache Tuscany. We

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Kev,

good to hear from you !

> Good to see you're busy :)
:)

> Great!  I would love it if you mentioned using bsf + script language
> of choice for script builds inside Ant.  It really seems that this
> feature of Ant isn't well known.
>
> Btw we've added support in 1.7.1 for JavaFX and we support javascript
> 'out of the box' :)
>
> If you want examples I can throw some together (in ruby probably :)
*Definitely*!

I would be more than happy to help stress important/helpful points on
applying this technology. And who could have more expertise as someone
who has been implementing and taking advantage of it all along?

May I just request to have them as short as possible, such that they fit
on one or two foils and give the reader/audience enough "meat" to wet
their appetitite to put their own fingers on?

And, there cannot be enough examples! One thing would be to put such
examples into a portfolio of BSF examples, the other thing is, that
maybe I can add all examples after the end of the presentation such that
people lurking/looking into the foils will eventually hit all those
other cool examples...

So, Kev, please bring them in (maybe even posting via this list, such
that others get to see these examples already, such that they get ideas
how they could take advantage of them for their own projects), and as
much as you can!
8-))

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rony,

Good to see you're busy :)

> at the upcoming ApacheCon US my proposal to give a presentation about
> BSF got accepted! This is what the presentation is intended about:
>
> "Title: Jakarta BSF: Add Scriptability to Your Java Application"
> Level: Novice
> Style: Presentation
> Orientation: Technical

Great!  I would love it if you mentioned using bsf + script language
of choice for script builds inside Ant.  It really seems that this
feature of Ant isn't well known.

Btw we've added support in 1.7.1 for JavaFX and we support javascript
'out of the box' :)

If you want examples I can throw some together (in ruby probably :)

Kev

Re: Request for feedback/ideas on a BSF presentation (ApacheCon US) ...

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ml...@mvdb.net>.
Would be nice if you could state at that time that bsf left jakarta and are now TLP : bsf.apache.org  :)

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by "Rony G. Flatscher" <Ro...@wu-wien.ac.at>.
Hi Martin,