Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Kenneth B. Harwood" <ru...@comcast.net> on 2005/07/12 22:30:37 UTC

CATALINA_BASE

i'm running the latest tomcat (5.5.9) on Win2K Pro.
Tomcat works in the default configuration.  thanks.
i'm trying to get Tomcat working using CATALINA_BASE.
that is, i want a second Tomcat instance to serve my
webapps from a directory different than the default.

the "default" directory is (F:\tomcat 5.5\webapps\myapp).
the "secondary" is (G:\tomcatuser\webapps\myapp).
CATALINA_HOME=F:\tomcat 5.5
CATALINA_BASE=G:\tomcatuser

the [G:] directory structure and user files looks to be
perfectly in order. for example,

             G:\tomcatuser
  [conf]            [webapps]      [log]
{server.xml}       [myapp]
{context.xml}       *.jsp

Tomcat seems to ignore my "second" configuation.
that is, when i start tomcat it keeps trying to fetch
my web pages from the [F:] disk's directory.

fyi, i have apache2 httpd in front of Tomcat, using the
AJP/1.3 protocol.  no problems with the connection!
if i can get the apache web server talking to Tomcat,
then this CATALINE_BASE thing should not be too difficult
to set-up.  what the heck am i doing wrong?

other information:
1) i do NOT really need multiple instances running.
i just want to keep my Tomcat executables on drive
[F:] and my development stuff on drive [G:].  so, i
haven't tested the system with >1 instance running.

2 i already know about 'appBase'.  what i want is
for my Tomcat development instance to start-up

thanks.

 - ken harwood

Re: CATALINA_BASE

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 7/12/05, Kenneth B. Harwood <ru...@comcast.net> wrote:
<snip/>
> is there a user-list SEARCH form anywhere or do
> i need to check the archives manually month-by-month?
<snap/>

This is an option [ http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&r=1&w=2 ]

-Rahul

Re: CATALINA_BASE

Posted by "Kenneth B. Harwood" <ru...@comcast.net>.
woops.
i just saw a CATALINA_BASE thead in May '05.
i'll take a look at that.

is there a user-list SEARCH form anywhere or do
i need to check the archives manually month-by-month?

- ken h.