Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Michael Chang <th...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/06 16:37:26 UTC

Re: [GHOP] Issue 8 - Review Wicket Screen Cast: Markup Inheritence

Hi all,

I was wondering whether anyone has had problems opening any of the
files, and whether there are any submission procedures (e.g. uploads
to a certain place; or indicating somewhere that I have released these
videos under the appropriate license, etc.) or other issues left for
me to complete this task. Thanks!

Again, various versions of the screen cast can be found at:
http://rapidshare.com/files/80221432/MarkupInheritence-rc2.mkv.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/80819725/MarkupInheritence-rc2.avi.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/80823201/MI-final-rc2_audio.flv.html

--
Michael Chang

Please note that not all formatting may be preserved in
Office/Word/Powerpoint documents sent to me. Please use OpenDocument
(not Open XML), HTML, and RTF where possible. See
Thank you.

Re: [GHOP] Issue 8 - Review Wicket Screen Cast: Markup Inheritence

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 6, 2008 5:08 PM, Maurice Marrink <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Martijn,
>
> mkv files should be playable using vlc mediaplayer, yes it is also
> available for the mac.
> http://www.videolan.org/

that didn't work for me on winxp. avi version was fine though.

  Gerolf

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
And no, it doesn't work on mac, and yes I used vlc.

Martijn

Posted by Maurice Marrink <ma...@gmail.com>.
Martijn,

Posted by Michael Chang <th...@gmail.com>.
Google Video version
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=1506438031407788182

Note: This version is lower quality than the AVI. The full version
(see the prior e-mail) is actually readable.

(AVI is 1024x768 whereas Google Video is about 320x240, IIRC. I could
be wrong, though.)

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.
we now have 2 finished screen casts:
hello world (.flv, ~29mb)
markup inheritence (.avi, ~8mb)

i emailed dan, whether he could provide the hello world screen cast as a
smaller file,
but haven't got a response back.

so as for now, we'd have to use wicketstuff.org (which is fine by me, btw).

i very much would have liked to use ShadowBox [0] as a video player, but
since it's GPL licensed, i don't know if we want to / can use it.

thoughts?

Gerolf

[0] http://mjijackson.com/shadowbox/

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Chang <th...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 19, 2008 5:02 AM, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A streaming version is not necessary IMO. We are looking for options to put

I don't expect you to use the google video version in any final thing
-- I was merely uploading it to their site so that it is more
convenient to review it.

> the vids on our main site. It just takes time to do so :)

Naturally.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Chang <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Chang <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Here's a bit of a status update:

http://webhome.idirect.com/~rgh/wicket/MarkupInheritence-3-edited.avi
Work in progress -- video only, no sound. I'll record the audio
voiceover later. Container format is AVI, codec is XVID. Resolution:
1024x768. Should play in most players.

On Jan 14, 2008 8:53 AM, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No problem, open source is a volunteer effort so these things happen.
> I hope you feel better.

Thanks.

On Jan 6, 2008 11:17 AM, Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> You could just use the standard application provided by the quickstart
> template though, and modify what you need. This is how people starting
> to play with your example will work. This will remove the need to
> modify the web.xml file.

Done in this version.

> Also you can apply 'code complete' more often: for example where you
> type in the constructor's name... Just type in the first 3 letters or
> so and press ctrl-space. Eclipse will generate the constructor name
> for you.

I tried to do this where I could -- if I missed any major potential
uses of code complete, feel free to let me know. :)

<snip>

> When you click in the browser, tell people what they see: here is the
> content of page1, with the menu of the base page, and when I click the
> page2 link you see that we updated the main content and the menu is
> still present. Possibly select the specific texts as you explain.

Video updated with selecting of text -- audio explainations will be
added when I record the audio.

Comments would be appreciated.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Chang <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Chang <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
OK I just watched the video. It is great, but could use more explanation IMO.

For instance explain what you are going to do before typing. Your
voice is nice to hear, so keep on talking!

You could just use the standard application provided by the quickstart
template though, and modify what you need. This is how people starting
to play with your example will work. This will remove the need to
modify the web.xml file.

Also you can apply 'code complete' more often: for example where you
type in the constructor's name... Just type in the first 3 letters or
so and press ctrl-space. Eclipse will generate the constructor name
for you.

When you implement the links, just say you are going to implement a
menu that will link to two pages: page1 and page2. The base page will
provide the menu, and each page will contribute a part of the final
page inside the wicket:child.

You can note that everything between the wicket:extend tags is
included in the final markup and anything outside those tags is
discarded.

When starting the application, tell something about that we are now
ready to start the application, and tell people where to find the main
method, and then run it as an application.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.