Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by "Jim M. McNamara" <3r...@verizon.net> on 2005/04/13 06:52:10 UTC

windows install

hi David-

I decided to try using the simplest way to install this and see what happened.
When you use the windows installer you have the option to be able to modify
httpd.conf automatically.  This time i chose not to modify httpd.conf
automatically.

I only put these 3 lines at the very bottom of httpd.conf per the website
documentation.

LoadModule rivet_module "c:/program files/apache
group/apache/modules/mod_rivet.so"

AddType application/x-httpd-rivet .rvt
AddType application/x-rivet-tcl .tcl

Here is the address i put in my browser.
http://localhost/hello.rvt

I had copied the file hello.rvt over from the tests directory.

apache sets the document root to "c:/program files/apache group/apache/htdocs"

This is what is displayed in my browser.

<?

# hello-1.1
puts "Hello, World\n"

# i18n-1.1
puts "¡ À È Ì Ò Ù - El Burro Sabe Más Que Tú!\n"

?>

Now i know it is suppose to look different than this.
When i run the apache.exe it says rivet running...
and it is displaying the .html files in htdocs fine in the browser.
It just doesnt seem to recognize the .rvt files properly
in the htdocs directory.

Any ideas on a small change i can make so that it displays
correctly?

If someone can help me to get this to display correctly
than my next step would be to buy an apache book from
amazon.  ISBN: 1590593553  looks like it might be a good choice.
It sounds like they try and keep the book info at a basic level.

thanks very much for all your help!
jim

Re: windows install

Posted by Pat Thoyts <pa...@users.sourceforge.net>.

Re: windows install

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
"Jim M. McNamara" <3r...@verizon.net> writes:

> hi David-

> I decided to try using the simplest way to install this and see what
> happened.  When you use the windows installer you have the option to
> be able to modify httpd.conf automatically.  This time i chose not
> to modify httpd.conf automatically.

> I only put these 3 lines at the very bottom of httpd.conf per the
> website documentation.

> LoadModule rivet_module "c:/program files/apache
> group/apache/modules/mod_rivet.so"

> AddType application/x-httpd-rivet .rvt
> AddType application/x-rivet-tcl .tcl

> Here is the address i put in my browser.
> http://localhost/hello.rvt

> I had copied the file hello.rvt over from the tests directory.

> apache sets the document root to "c:/program files/apache group/apache/htdocs"

> This is what is displayed in my browser.

This is indicative that it's not grokking the right type for the .rvt
file.

What do your log files say?

Pat, you have any ideas? (Pat is our resident windows guy)

> Now i know it is suppose to look different than this.  When i run
> the apache.exe it says rivet running...  and it is displaying the
> .html files in htdocs fine in the browser.  It just doesnt seem to
> recognize the .rvt files properly in the htdocs directory.

> Any ideas on a small change i can make so that it displays
> correctly?

> If someone can help me to get this to display correctly than my next
> step would be to buy an apache book from amazon.  ISBN: 1590593553
> looks like it might be a good choice.  It sounds like they try and
> keep the book info at a basic level.

I don't think most of those books cover Rivet, unfortunately, although
they still contain lots of useful things.  Rivet is certainly meant to
be used within the Apache environment, so you can use it alongside
other Apache modules to do cool things.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/